What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple spyware?

doomitmayconcern

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm considering buying an ipad and I've been trying to find out if Apple include any spyware with the operating system. By 'spyware' I mean any arrangement that automatically sends data to Apple (or to anyone else). I'm referring, of course, to data the sending of which is not essential to the things the user chooses to do with the device.

If there is anything like that, is it possible to remove it or stop it from sending the data in question? If so, how?

OP
D

doomitmayconcern

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for reply, but could you give a little more detail? Is the data collection on or off by default? Is it easy to turn it on or off? Are other types of data ever collected, e.g. location, browsing activity or personal details?

By the way, I've tried general web searching, but search engines don't seem to want to divulge information on this subject.

(I've just looked at the forum rules. Am I doing something wrong?)

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The term spyware generally refers to programs and apps that collect user data without the permission of the device user. Analytics and app data are not sent to Apple and app developers without your express permission and are not considered to be spyware.
When setting up a new device you are asked if you want to share app data and analytics with Apple and developers. Unless you agree, nothing is sent to Apple or developers.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks for reply, but could you give a little more detail? Is the data collection on or off by default? Is it easy to turn it on or off? Are other types of data ever collected, e.g. location, browsing activity or personal details?

By the way, I've tried general web searching, but search engines don't seem to want to divulge information on this subject.

Hello - just to reinforce the excellent information provided by Scifan.., the top statement below is from Apple's KB Article on the topic - notice that 'Apple collects this information anonymously' and I'd assume that the 'Developers' do so also (likely an Apple requirement), but just my opinion.

Ever since owning iDevices (iPod Touch before 2010 & iPads starting in 2011), I've allowed the sharing of my device's analytics etc. - bottom pic is from my iPhone (Settings -> Privacy -> Analytics....) where these features can be disabled, if desired. In all honestly, your concerns about 'safety & privacy' on the internet should be directed at your web browsers and your email accounts. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2020-05-04 at 11.43.39 AM.png

IMG_0799.PNG

Most reactions

Latest posts