What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple rumored to open R&D facility in Shanghai this summer

RaduTyrsina

News Team
Reaction score
Apple-China-132701.png

Apple has always placed great importance on R&D in order to deliver to its customers the best products possible. Now, news coming from the CNET China team, who apparently stumbled upon some information via relevant sources, claim that Apple is ready to extend its branch of R&D all the way to China.

Apparently, the Chinese financial news site yicai.com has already confirmed the information stating that Apple is due to open a new research facility in Shanghai as soon as this summer:

“Shanghai Municipal Commission of Commerce has announced that Apple will open its R&D center this summer. Apple has registered three firms in three buildings in Pudong, Shanghai, and one of them will be dedicated to procurement management and R&D, according to documents on the Shanghai Municipal Administration for Industry and Commerce’s website.â€

Apple was also rumored to be planning to open a R&D place in Beijing. A couple of weeks ago, Apple’s CEO himself, Tim Cook, talked about the subject when he met with the Beijing mayor. Nothing of the project has been revealed until now, though, so there’s no way to know if the plans are still viable.

Nevertheless, it makes sense for Apple to want to extend its R&D wings over China, since it has seen revenues worth $7.3 billion coming from the country - just in a single quarter. The only problem Apple might face in China, is the price it imposes on its products – most of them are too high for the average worker to afford.

Source: AppleInsider

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So, it's not just assembly that's done overseas its also R&D? Let me guess, we don't have the capability to do any of that kind of work here? Meh.

:(

Munky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Until U.S. schools go from being government indoctrination centers to actually teaching our kids, unfortunately we will fall further and further behind.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:

There are plenty of very talented engineers and developers right here. I work with some of them. I'm just not buying any of this. It's just a ploy to save money and increase profits. They should just say that though. I'd be OK with it. But, to try and make it like we have a population of 300 million people and none of them can handle this work is just an insult.

So, if all of this talent is just sitting over in china waiting to be harnessed, why don't they replace Tim Cook and all the executives? Oh wait, china doesn't have anyone as smart as those guys, the same ones brought up in out terrible education system or whatever. I get it now. :(

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are plenty of very talented engineers and developers right here. I work with some of them. I'm just not buying any of this. It's just a ploy to save money and increase profits. They should just say that though. I'd be OK with it. But, to try and make it like we have a population of 300 million people and none of them can handle this work is just an insult.

So, if all of this talent is just sitting over in china waiting to be harnessed, why don't they replace Tim Cook and all the executives? Oh wait, china doesn't have anyone as smart as those guys, the same ones brought up in out terrible education system or whatever. I get it now. :(

You've jumped to conclusions; no one is saying there's no one qualified in the U.S. As one of the links I posted mentions, many companies already have R&D in China, and there are many diff types of R&D. That doesn't mean Apple needs to move all operations there.

China is a huge market, but many people there can't afford Apple products. One of the advantages of R&D in a market you're trying to pursue is leveraging local talent, which better understands local needs. China also has a huge pool of people with strong math and science skills. And of course Chinese labor is cheaper; no one has said otherwise.

The U.S. still has some of the best universities in the world, which is why many foreigners, including Chinese, flock here for an education. But foreigners also helped build Silicon Valley -- Indians, especially. A mix of talent is better than homogeneity, esp if you want to sell to the world.

And techies are in high demand in the U.S. right now, despite the otherwise crap economy: Surveys Show Tech Workers in Most Demand in 2013

There's actually a shortage of techies with certain skills. For instance, my husband has gotten about a dozen recruiting calls in the past few months. His company gave him a big raise and additional perks to stay, and they've got jobs they've been unable to fill because they can't find the right people. Among his colleagues: a big mix of talent from worldwide, including many from and in Asia.

iJamesH

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Until U.S. schools go from being government indoctrination centers to actually teaching our kids, unfortunately we will fall further and further behind.

Quote for the frackin truth!

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
You've jumped to conclusions; no one is saying there's no one qualified in the U.S. As one of the links I posted mentions, many companies already have R&D in China, and there are many diff types of R&D. That doesn't mean Apple needs to move all operations there.

China is a huge market, but many people there can't afford Apple products. One of the advantages of R&D in a market you're trying to pursue is leveraging local talent, which better understands local needs. China also has a huge pool of people with strong math and science skills. And of course Chinese labor is cheaper; no one has said otherwise.

The U.S. still has some of the best universities in the world, which is why many foreigners, including Chinese, flock here for an education. But foreigners also helped build Silicon Valley -- Indians, especially. A mix of talent is better than homogeneity, esp if you want to sell to the world.

And techies are in high demand in the U.S. right now, despite the otherwise crap economy: Surveys Show Tech Workers in Most Demand in 2013

There's actually a shortage of techies with certain skills. For instance, my husband has gotten about a dozen recruiting calls in the past few months. His company gave him a big raise and additional perks to stay, and they've got jobs they've been unable to fill because they can't find the right people. Among his colleagues: a big mix of talent from worldwide, including many from and in Asia.

I don't want to sound to crass. And, I'm fine with a global workforce when the situation permits or warrants it. Maybe in this situation it does? I just tire of hearing about how we can't do this or can't do that. I do agree that in some fields there are shortages. We are having trouble finding good software QA help. We need more than just a button pusher though. Not as easy as you'd think.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It is not R and D

Rumor: Apple Shanghai facility to be supply chain management center, not R&D center
Appleinsider

So relax

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk in Australia

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't want to sound to crass. And, I'm fine with a global workforce when the situation permits or warrants it. Maybe in this situation it does? I just tire of hearing about how we can't do this or can't do that. I do agree that in some fields there are shortages. We are having trouble finding good software QA help. We need more than just a button pusher though. Not as easy as you'd think.

Many jobs require higher skills than ever, even among those left in U.S. manufacturing. The country's biggest problem is under-educated or under-trained people, or people with training that's no longer in demand.

When it comes to lower-level assembly jobs, companies aren't going to pay U.S. wages and benefits if they can avoid it, because they'd be killed by the competition in pricing, profits and returns for shareholders. For many products, there's also your supply chain to consider. And let's face it: Many companies send work to lesser developed countries because they're hungrier for jobs, and will accept what wouldn't fly in industrialized nations -- much cheaper wages, less humane working conditions, pollution, etc.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
Many jobs require higher skills than ever, even among those left in U.S. manufacturing. The country's biggest problem is under-educated or under-trained people, or people with training that's no longer in demand.

When it comes to lower-level assembly jobs, companies aren't going to pay U.S. wages and benefits if they can avoid it, because they'd be killed by the competition in pricing, profits and returns for shareholders. For many products, there's also your supply chain to consider. And let's face it: Many companies send work to lesser developed countries because they're hungrier for jobs, and will accept what wouldn't fly in industrialized nations -- much cheaper wages, less humane working conditions, pollution, etc.

Right, so it is exploitation at some level. They are capitalizing on those people's miserable conditions. I get the whole thing. Doesn't mean I have to like it. :)

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Right, so it is exploitation at some level. They are capitalizing on those people's miserable conditions. I get the whole thing. Doesn't mean I have to like it. :)

I don't think any of us like it. But we're all complicit as long as we buy the products that result.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
I don't think any of us like it. But we're all complicit as long as we buy the products that result.

Ultimately, that's it, isn't it? No problem, I'm done bellyaching about it. :)

Most reactions