What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple Replacing Some iPad 2s for Backlight Bleeding Issues

Matt1226

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can't tell if there is a problem. Can someone look at the picture and let me know if they see it. Thanks.

DC EP3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm on my 3rd iPad 2 already and it still is showing backlight bleeding pretty significantly, this one is about the same as my first, way better than the second, I should have just kept my first one though cause it was the least noticeable of all and then waited a few months to return it, because u have a year, and hopefully by then the problem would be fixed

ipaduser434

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Matt1226, all I could see was a perfectly black square. If that's your screen, you don't have an issue. If you can't tell if you have an issue, I don't think you have one.:)

Matt1226

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I took a picture of my screen but then I figured it may not show up. I found about five areas that I can see the backlight leaking. Try googling black image and save the image. Open it with the list off and see if you can see anything on yours. I never noticed a problem till I turned my device off and then I saw it.

solarrdadd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i have it as well but it's in no way interferring with the quality of the picture, video or desktop screen in anyway thus far. in fact, the only time it's noticed is when there is supposed to be total darkness then you can see it.

i do have an interesting question: I have applecare for my ipad and am concerned that when i decide to address this issue (once it starts to interfere with normal viewing use) as they simply will give you another unit (new but most likely refurbished i'm guessing) will i be able to transfer that unit over to the remaining time on my applecare?

i do intend to hold out as long as possible until an actual statement from apple that they have fesolved the issue either through software or hardware and act then. like i said, it's not bothering me at all.

i love this thing and can't imagine not having it! ;)

DC EP3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My bleed on this 3rd ipad2 is getting kinda annoying when playing games and going in-between scenes in YouTube, I still have a week (in the 14 day return period) to get another new one in a box so I might try because the bleed is really big on the upper left side it shines through about a 2 inch bleed and then a smaller one next to the home button about half an inch, but the big one is annoying, but then again I don't want another fiasco which last time ended up with me totally out of an iPad for 2 weeks after getting a worse replacement, so I do have a year to get it replaced so should I wait and maybe I'll have better luck with an exchange in a few months? Or should I go ASAP to get my 4th ipad2? PLEASE HELP

D_LA_ROC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I too have the bleeding and I like to just pretend it's not there but it is. It doesn't bother me too much. Just turn down your brightness till it's gone if it bothers you. I don't think it will ruin your device or get worse with time. I think its because the screen is thinner and light comes through more.



Ncaissie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SweetPoison said:
Yeah. I'm not seeing anything either, Matt.

LOL You can't see it in a screen capture. You have to take a picture with a camera. LMAO

sorry that was too funny.

64GB 3G White iPad

Ncaissie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't think it is glue unless closing the iPad stops it from curing. It has been over a month for some.
I think it's more of a design flaw. Mine has a tiny bit also. I think everyone's perception of how bad it is will differ.

64GB 3G White iPad

EIGHTYTHREE

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DC EP3 said:
My bleed on this 3rd ipad2 is getting kinda annoying when playing games and going in-between scenes in YouTube, I still have a week (in the 14 day return period) to get another new one in a box so I might try because the bleed is really big on the upper left side it shines through about a 2 inch bleed and then a smaller one next to the home button about half an inch, but the big one is annoying, but then again I don't want another fiasco which last time ended up with me totally out of an iPad for 2 weeks after getting a worse replacement, so I do have a year to get it replaced so should I wait and maybe I'll have better luck with an exchange in a few months? Or should I go ASAP to get my 4th ipad2? PLEASE HELP

IMO, just wait a few months and let Apple address the issue, then exchange. You have a year Apple warranty so you are covered. Exchanging now you are likely to get one worse, cuz at the moment majority of them seem to have the issue, however YMMV. If it's bothers you really bad then just get your money back and wait.

Mystro

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think the question is "who doesn't have screen bleeding"? Mine is minor but there is some.

Most reactions