What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple Replacing Some iPad 2s for Backlight Bleeding Issues

Granty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
heybutch1 said:
On my 6th iPad 2 and still have the issue! Have to say though, all the apple staff are friendly, understanding and have had no issue swapping out the iPads for me. Also the defect is only visible when in the dark and looking at a black screen. Unfortunately I use my ipad a lot for watching movies so often get a dark screen and see the leakage. Full story below.....

Apple Store Visit 1

IPad 1 - Purchased at launch, Mar 25. IPad had blotchy leakage all the way around screen, especially in 1 corner.

Apple Store Visit 2, mid May

IPad 2 - First swap out attempt failed. Genius checked it out the back and said it had the issue too.
IPad 3 - Genius also checked this one and said it had leakage but only down one side. It was the best of the three and if I wanted I could take that one and come back another day, as they were out of my model, and try again. FREE red smart cover for my trouble.

Apple Store Visit 3, 16th July

IPad 4 - Only had one of my models in stock as a replacement part. Genius checked it and confessed it had one small leak by the home button. As this area is used when playing video I hoped this would be the end of it. Unfortunately, as soon as I got it home, spotted a nice bit shiny dead pixel right in middle of the screen.

Apple Store Visit 4, 17th July

IPad 5 - Rather than a replacement part, they refunded my original transaction and gave me a brand new boxed model. Dead pixel!
IPad 6 - Another new boxed model, no dead pixels.... the assistant checked for leakage in the store and said it was clean...... get home...... leakage all the way up the left hand side, right where i don't want it for watching movies. One particular blob is really bad. FREE, kept the charger and cable from the new box and got a free dock for my trouble.

So now what? Each time i go to the apple store its 2 hrs of my life and a 60 mile round trip!

If the next one is fine I will have gone though £3,960 worth of faulty iPads and received over £100's worth of free accessories. All I want is an iPad free of defects BUT can apple deliver one?? I honestly think that apple must have a HUGE quality issue for me to 6/6 defects.

Will be calling Apple Support tomorrow and asking for some special support. Can anyone else beat 6??

Which store you going to?

Sahota95

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
I agree with TheRambler - it's a worldwide warranty. Apple will honour this wherever you live. Take it into the Apple Store - but back up first in case - as they often do - they offer to exchange it on the spot...

Tim

O really thanks people, but I don't have any like papers saying I have warranty my uncle bought it from best buy and I only have the best reciept.

Sahota95 - Message Sent From Sahota95's IPad 2 White 32GB Wifi Only Edition.

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I wonder if the issue of the tingling or vibration when charging will be deemed as a valid issue by apple,iv had two now that do it and there's plenty of people with the same thing according to forum posts.

Ncaissie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sahota95 said:
O really thanks people, but I don't have any like papers saying I have warranty my uncle bought it from best buy and I only have the best reciept.

Sahota95 - Message Sent From Sahota95's IPad 2 White 32GB Wifi Only Edition.

The receipt is all you need.

64GB 3G White iPad

Sahota95

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ncaissie said:
The receipt is all you need.

64GB 3G White iPad

Btw wher I am there is no best buys so would i just take to a apple sore?

Sahota95 - Message Sent From Sahota95's IPad 2 White 32GB Wifi Only Edition. .

Ncaissie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I like your avatar Tim. I'm a huge superman fan. Also DC.

64GB 3G White iPad

Granty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well on iPad5 now and they've officially told me to either put up with the bleed (still significant had three copies in exact same place now around the same size of 1cm at longest edge) or take a refund. Funnily enough the final two were very recent models with a G in the serial number suggesting built in second half of the year but still the issue hasnt been resolved much to my dismay when I noted how quiet this thread had become indicating it had been brought under control. Not sure what to do now.

rezilent

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm noticing a small bleed but only when I look at a black picture hope it dont get worse wasn't there a few weeks ago :/

dlo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm going to test this out tonight when I watch a movie. I don't think I have this issue.

Most reactions