What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple Releases iTunes 11

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It's faster and more stable, or so I've heard. That's the number one takeaway for me.

There are a few things I miss, though not cover flow. While that looked nice, it never did anything useful for me. I'd like the progress bar back in the mini controller too.

Apple has already promised that it is going to put some of the missing features back. I'm guessing the complete re-write meant a few things got left out due to time pressure. The find duplicate tools was mentioned. They already had to delay it a month, and Apple hates not meeting their announced release dates.

I would have liked to see some substantial improvements in the sync controls, though I have to admit I don't' see how they could be improved; not without changing things so radically that I'd have to start all over. As it is, everything still works the way I expect.

Other than that, it's more about tweaking how I do things. Not a lot, just enough be be inconvenient. It's a short term annoyance, and something that new users will not encounter. It is possible to change the windows to get a similar layout to the older version, but I've chosen not to do so. Best to dive in and learn the changes. You don't really know if something is better or worse until you've give it a fair trial. At least two to three weeks of daily use, in my estimation. I'm almost there.

Some strange things were mentioned in conjunction with the new closer iCloud integration. At least one person I follow on Twitter mentioned several movies that retreated to iCloud. She was certain they were local on the computer before.

I've noticed that some of my songs are duplicated in iCloud. At first I thought it was just a hiccup, but some blog posts and investigation show that what I"m actually seeing is the opportunity to download non DRM versions of some of my older DRMed music. Might still be a hiccup, but a nice one; once I get around to downloading all those new tracks.

The iTunes Plus things seems to have disappeared as well. That's because all songs are at the higher bit rate now, as far as I can tell.

I also saw a few extra tracks show up as iCloud downloadable. I'm not sure if they got deleted locally (though I doubt it), were added later to album's song list after I purchases, or what; but they are free to download so I'm either not upset, or happy. Depending.

I've noticed that songs to not have to actually be downloaded from iCloud to play. Another words, if you're computer is a bit short on space you can stream the music instead of keeping it local. That's for computer playback only, I'm pretty sure. You probably can't sync form iTunes to you iDevice unless the music is local. Of course, it's available on the iDevice via iCloud too, so that's not really a big issue.

As for the negative press and comments for iTunes 11, I only have two comments that I don't think have been covered yet, though I could have just missed them.

Change: Except for people who have already been convinced that "this" change is good before hand, or happen to like novelty for its own sake (in that area of their life), change almost always meets resistance. It's human nature. People (statistically) don't like to be dug out of a rut and made to learn new things. Nothing new has ever been done without having to overcome a lot of scoffing and dire predictions of disaster. Software revisions are not an exception.

Hind site often leaves a rosy glow when reviewing a success story, especially when told by an early adopter. A closer looks always shows up the (now less noisy) nay sayers of time.

Apple's eminent demise: This has been predicted (mostly by the same people) for over a twenty years. There is absolutely no doubt that they are right. The only question is how many years (or decades) they will have to wait for vindication. For the most part these people's predictions are based on wishful thinking and/or a desire to get as many page hits as possible. No one knows what will happen to Apple. It could get better. It could get worse. It could go semi-stagnent for decades and still be one of the most powerful software companies for another decade (al la Microsoft).

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Good grief! I didn't realize how long that post was until after I posted it.

I'd say feel free to skip it, but if you've already gotten this far you've already read it or not. ;)

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good grief! I didn't realize how long that post was until after I posted it.

I'd say feel free to skip it, but if you've already gotten this far you've already read it or not. ;)

Lol. I skimmed, didn't read.

Personally, I like change if there are clear advantages for me. If for instance, Apple started selling a feature I really wanted, I'd say sign me up.

I basically use iTunes to back up, and little else at this point. I got lazy about ripping movies, for example, so no need for iTunes for that. I've been buying music from Amazon, which lets me load music directly to every device I own, no matter the platform, or stream it, so no need for iTunes. I can use the cloud (not necessarily Apple's) for various other things, like photos, books and documents. I manage other content thru apps or my Windows laptop. Maybe if iTunes has been improved earlier, it would be relevant to me now. But it wasn't, so it isn't. So even if iTunes is improved, it's not useful to me. I imagine that I'm not alone.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I certainly would not recommend using iTunes as the main media organizer for anyone using multiple mobile OS's like yourself. It's very Apple/iOS (with Windows tacked on) centric.

Even if all Apple/iOS/Windows, it's a choice, not a must. Advantages and disadvantages abound.

Works well for me, though one must remember I've been using it for over a decade. I said this a while back, and I suppose it pretty much sums up my feeling about iTunes.

"I'm used to iTunes, so I don't mind it for myself, but I'm tired of trying to explaining how to do things in it to other people."

iTunes 11 hasn't really changed that except in very minor ways.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I certainly would not recommend using iTunes as the main media organizer for anyone using multiple mobile OS's like yourself. It's very Apple/iOS (with Windows tacked on) centric.

Even if all Apple/iOS/Windows, it's a choice, not a must. Advantages and disadvantages abound.

Works well for me, though one must remember I've been using it for over a decade. I said this a while back, and I suppose it pretty much sums up my feeling about iTunes.

"I'm used to iTunes, so I don't mind it for myself, but I'm tired of trying to explaining how to do things in it to other people."

iTunes 11 hasn't really changed that except in very minor ways.

Yes, optional. I don't remember what we were using to manage music even when iPod was our only iDevice/MP3 player, but I remember iTunes being unstable back then, sending us to some freeware that worked well.

I figure Apple missed an opportunity -- build something so useful and reliable -- but not locked -- that many more people would've used it, and bought content from it, even if not for iDevices. I don't buy music, books or audiobooks from iTunes, for instance, specifically because I'd have to jump thru hoops and/or violate DRM just to use my paid-for libraries on non-Apple devices. Instead, Amazon/Audible get my money, no matter which devices I use.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There isn't (as far as I know) any DRM in any iTunes music anymore. Hasn't been for several years now. TV and Movies, well the studios are proving more stubborn. ;)

When I talk about my DRM music, it's because some of my iTunes purchases dates back to 2002 (or there bouts).

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There isn't (as far as I know) any DRM in any iTunes music anymore. Hasn't been for several years now. TV and Movies, well the studios are proving more stubborn. ;)

When I talk about my DRM music, it's because some of my iTunes purchases dates back to 2002 (or there bouts).

Yes, I know DRM was removed from iTunes music years ago; there's just no easy and quick way to get your iTunes-purchased music onto a non-Apple mobile device. (That's what I meant by jumping thru hoops.) With Amazon, for instance, you can buy and instantly listen/download or stream onto non-Apple devices; same for Audible audiobooks and reading with the Kindle app across many platforms. There's no need to transfer your content, because it's readily available.

iNotes4You

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Dinosaur-App has got a fresh new design.
I am not a DJ and use iTunes only for backing up my devices and saving files via File Sharing to a local harddrive.
The lacks ...
- Scroll down and you loose the context to an app
- Select files and scroll down half a mile for clicking on 'Save to...'
- No button for selecting all files of an app

Sent from
using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

Latest posts