Apple Releases iTunes 11

Discussion in 'Apple iPad News' started by Maura, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Maura

Maura iPadForums News Team

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +107 / 0
    [FONT=&quot]
    [​IMG]

It’s finally here, yippee! Yes, as AppleInsider writes, an as most of you have probably already found out, Apple has today released iTunes 11 to the public. The update is really much more than an update, representing a complete overhaul of iTunes. The main features include a new, edge-to-edge design, custom designs for each album, movie or TV show in your library; a new store, which Apple says is a more “clean†look; the ability to play your purchases from within iCloud, including your music, movies and TV shows; the new “Up Next†feature, where you can see which songs are coming next; a new MiniPlayer, which now includes album art, and is generally smaller and more elegant, according to Apple; improved search, making it easier to find what you’re after in iTunes; and playback syncing, where iCloud will remember where you are in a movie or TV show, whether you are using your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch or Apple TV. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Source:[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Apple releases redesigned iTunes 11 with iCloud integration for Mac, Windows[/FONT]
  2. seneca18

seneca18 Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0
    Just downloaded it. Much improved I must say (so far). It is more responsive and snappier all around. Thumbs Up....
  3. giradman

giradman iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +899 / 0
    I've been waiting for this release! :thumbs: Need to replace my old iPod Touch (carry all of my music on it!) and wanted a NEW iTunes before a purchase. BUT, hate to start w/ a x.0 version of a release - will likely wait a while to see others' experience w/ this initial offering and to see how soon Apple updates it - :)
  4. NakedFaerie

NakedFaerie iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I've just restored to 10 as I use features they removed in 11.

There are a few people around like me that go back to previous versions as Apple love removing useful features and make things harder and not as good. iTunes 11 is the next for them to attack and screw up.
  5. AQ_OC

AQ_OC Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0
    What did they remove?
  6. NakedFaerie

NakedFaerie iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    The ability to resize icons, now they are big and you no longer get a choice to resize them
    The nice downloads tab, its now a stupid tiny icon at the top right.
    The artwork viewer. The bottom left where you usually see the artwork or icon of whatever is highlighted.
    The different views of just about all tabs. Usually there are 4 different views, what I saw there are now 2. In iTunes 10 I have cover flow as my view, that's gone.
    The menu is usually the top most thing. They removed it but when you re-enable it, it's now below the top bar, stupid place for it.

After seeing all those changes I delete it and went back to iTunes 10. I don't care for more changes as I'm not going to update.
    I'm not going to get another iPhone so I no longer care for iTunes either. The sooner I rid these apple crap the better.

The buggiest software is have installed is iTunes and I install a lot of beta software and iTunes is still the buggiest software there is.
  7. idave23

idave23 iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0
    Well I'll point out one thing I do like about 11. I've never signed up for the Cloud thingmie. But now, when I buy songs on my iPhone I don't have to then hook it up to the PC and do the whole "transfer purchases" thing to get them onto the PC. The songs show up in the list with a cloud icon next to them and you just click on it to download them. Nice.
  8. miket5au

miket5au iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    You can resize the icons. Got to View, View Options (or Ctrl-J) and there is an icon resize slider.
  9. miket5au

miket5au iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    If you enable the menus and go to the View menu you can show the sidebar - that gives you a iTunes 10 look. However you have to click on the downloads icon (little down arrow that appears when downloads are in progress). This opens a windows with the list of downloads and their progress.

Everything from iTunes 10 is still there as far as I can tell. In some cases you need to change the view to one that matches how the older version worked.
  10. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +443 / 0
  11. skimonkey

skimonkey Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,179 / 1
    This new version seems to load quicker than the old versions of iTunes. This was always an issue on my windows pc. Also I had to connect all my idevice back to my pc using the wired cable to enable the wireless sync to occur again. All seem to work fine now and syncs faster than normal.
  12. Mickey330

Mickey330 Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,874 / 0
    I don't use my iTunes much. TBH, it's just the storehouse for my music (that gets played elsewhere), apps and backups. In fact, 98% of what i do with iTunes is back-up my iDevices (and transfer apps over). Since I can still do that easily, then this upgrade is fine.

However. I am pleased as punch that it seems to be faster. When I am scrolling through the list of apps in the iPad summary window, they fly by versus herky-jerky. Makes looking for a certain app that much easier.

So, for that alone - I'm thrilled with the update.

Marilyn
  13. Hayles66

Hayles66 iPad Expert

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +325 / 0
    Much better. More responsive, better look to it. Haven't found everything yet but give me time.
  14. jwt873

jwt873 iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +28 / 0
    I'm lost here and NOT very happy.. I liked the old version as clumsy as it was.. I used to be able to see things like a graph showing the iPad memory useage, but that seems to be gone now. The only options I seem to have is to view one thing at a time.. Music, Movies, Books, Apps, Home Sharing and the iTunes store.... And that's it..

I think with Steve Jobs gone, Apple is starting to lose direction.
  15. jwt873

jwt873 iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +28 / 0
    Well.. I managed to get the sidebar working, so it's a little more familiar, but the option to select "owner's iPad" isn't there. I still can't seem to find a way to bring up stuff like the useage graph...
  16. NakedFaerie

NakedFaerie iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Apple lost the plot years ago, its just really showing its flaws now. Before it hid them and removed things one at a time and did it quietly to not cause such a big deal. Now they do it all at once.

If you backed it up before you updated to 11 you just copy the files back and go back to 10 by uninstalling 11 and reinstalling 10.
    I always have a backup for things like this when they are needed.

It looks like my iPhone 4 will be staying on IOS5.1.1 and iTunes will be staying on 10 as both updates are crap and make things worse.
  17. Devynquinn

Devynquinn iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I hate iTunes 11 and put mine back to the previous version. Thank heaven for backup files.
  18. miket5au

miket5au iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
  19. tony misercola

tony misercola iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Apple still has a lot to learn about file backup from Microsoft. The process of getting files on your iPad, phone etc is so painstaking as compared to MS windows explorer's process of copying and pasting. I just don't understand why Apple doesn't see this. I consider myself pretty knowledgeable with software applications, but the process of syncing just blows me away, especially when you can very easily lose all your files on your "I whatever" by syncing - when you have moved or deleted files from your computer since your last sync. Tooooo complicated!
  20. KevinJS

KevinJS Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +865 / 0
    It comes with the territory, I'm afraid. Apple's approach has its benefits, and I understand how someone coming from Windows would find that it takes some getting used to. The syncing issue, to be fair, is not limited to Apple. Any removal of synced info will upset the sync, no matter the OS.

It takes a concerted effort to move oneself off the file-centric mindset, and replace it with an app-centric one. I'm not fully there yet, but I'm working on it.

Copy and paste is available, by the way. Info can be copied from any app, and pasted into another that is compatible. Text can be copied from a website and pasted into an email, or Pages. A photograph can be copied and pasted into an email, etc.

Sent from my iPad using iPF