What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple releases intial April 3 iPad sales estimate

Sonny Burnett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
According to Apple iPad sales, including pre-orders were over 300,000. The street analysts totally blew it with estimates that doubled that number.

The problem, no one knew how many iPads were actually allocated for pre-orders before they were depleted.

You can read the original article here: Initial iPad Sales Figures From Apple

brobar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Pretty underwhelming considering we were lead to believe that more than 300,000 had been preordered during the first week of availability to preorder. If I'm not mistaken... that 300,000 number includes preorders (for the wifi), Apple Store in-store sales and Best Buy in-store sales, correct? Meh... definitely not bad by any means... but not a blockbuster either.

Still love mine though! =)

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gotta keep in mind tho that is only "pre-order" numbers...that wouldn't include reserves, walkups and best buy...I think the real number is higher.

brobar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unless both Engadget & Gizmodo are wrong... they are saying El Jobso's announcement of 300,000 is including all preorders (home delivery and in-store) plus in-store sales and best buy sales. That is the reason it seems a little underwhelming to me. If it was just in-store (Apple store only) sales on day one... then that would be pretty impressive. But to include ALL pre-orders both in-store and at home (wifi only I'm sure) as well as all in-store sales both at Apple Stores and Best Buy stores... I'm not that impressed.

Now to see how well they can sustain sales...

brobar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That 250,000 ebook numbers is interesting as well. Would be curious to know if that was 250,000 (paid) ebooks or a combo of paid and free. Because I downloaded about 7 free ebooks myself. I haven't purchased one that isn't free yet because they decided to up the price on King's "Under The Dome" from 9.99 to 16.99 right before launch.

If that 250,000 number is mostly free ebooks then that is kinda underwhelming as well.

Maybe my expectations were just too high! =) These numbers are all fine... it wasn't a bust by any means! I would say it was a solid first weekend. The 3G release in a few weeks should really boost those numbers.

StudioTq

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes but this is for the WiFi only. I Believe the initial reports also lumped in the 3g sales too. Maybe I am wrong but, cant seem to pry this thing out of my hands :)

Edlex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes but this is for the WiFi only. I Believe the initial reports also lumped in the 3g sales too. Maybe I am wrong but, cant seem to pry this thing out of my hands :)

I think those numbers are first day sales so the 3G couldn't have been included because apple hasnt charged us for them yet.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
These numbers do not include any 3G pre-orders. It also does not include Sunday sales which probably are not a big add-on. Consider that the iPad itself may be its biggest advertising, we could see substantial sales within the next few weeks. The big question is how many are waiting for the 3G models to come out? Consider that the initial iPhone sold 270,000 in the same period, these numbers are satisfying. the biggest test will be the Oct-Dec quarter. They should sell more during that period than all the other quarters combined.

Also noted from the software on the iPad, they already have two more iphones, an iPod Touch, and the next gen iPad already in developemt.

iserian

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No purchased books from Apple here either - Converting to E-Pub and slowly filling up the bookshelf.

That 250,000 ebook numbers is interesting as well. Would be curious to know if that was 250,000 (paid) ebooks or a combo of paid and free. Because I downloaded about 7 free ebooks myself. I haven't purchased one that isn't free yet because they decided to up the price on King's "Under The Dome" from 9.99 to 16.99 right before launch.

If that 250,000 number is mostly free ebooks then that is kinda underwhelming as well.

Maybe my expectations were just too high! =) These numbers are all fine... it wasn't a bust by any means! I would say it was a solid first weekend. The 3G release in a few weeks should really boost those numbers.

Attachments

• IpadBooksIMG00162-20100405-0825.jpg
    IpadBooksIMG00162-20100405-0825.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 297

brobar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No purchased books from Apple here either - Converting to E-Pub and slowly filling up the bookshelf.

What are you using to convert? I've been using Calibre but w/ subpar results. A lot of my pdf books are programming / tech oriented and only about 1 out of 5 conversions end up looking good. The rest end up with crazy spacing between the same sentence.

For instance... it can be in the middle of a sentence and all of a sudden

it does a paragraph spacing cutting the sentence in half like this.

It does that in most of the books almost every few lines which is kind of annoying?

What do you use and how are your conversions turning out?

Most reactions

Latest posts