What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple refunds dad for daughter’s £4000 in-app purchases on iPad

RaduTyrsina

News Team
Reaction score
t1larg.ipad.children.jpg
Nowadays, technology has become very attractive to kids and you won’t run into a youngster that is not curious about an iPad or an iPhone. But even if these devices captivate children and hold their attention with all their pretty colors and games, parents should not let their kids unsupervised. This is exactly the lesson that Lee Neale, father of one Lily Neale, learned the hard way.

Mister Neale, an aerospace designer, “entrusted†his 8 year old with his Apple tablet and let her have some fun with it. And she did. Big time. The problem is that that the fun was worth 4,000 British pounds (around 6145 USD). Apparently, little Lilly was a huge fan of three games in particular: Campus Life,​​My Horse and Injustice. And she purchased a lot of in-game items to make the games prettier and more exciting. Without realizing, of course, that the purchases involved actually paying real money for them. The dad only found out about his finances being drained after he was unable to take out any money from his completely frozen bank account.

At first, Apple didn’t want to refund any of the money mister Neale has lost through his daughter’s love of games. After all, they have sent him a few e-mails congratulating him for his exquisite taste in games, but he failed to notice them. After a while, Apple reconsidered the case and as Neale told the Sun:

“Apple called me to say they will be refunding the money I have lost and apologized for closing my case so early.â€

Lily apparently managed to purchase the games by being attentive when her dad introduced a certain password and memorized it. So, be careful parents, and don’t take your eyes off your kids!

Source: Cnet

Victor Ruidera

iPF Noob
Reaction score
4000 USD?!

Wow, that's a lot of money.......

Apple giving re-funds is just a great decision that will help parents (Or unsatisfied customers) get there money back.

Apple every time I see these news and updates, the more I appreciate it and the more I will never regret buying an iPad and iPhone.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think it's very nice of Apple to do this for this gentleman.....kudos to them!

I then really feel that parents need to take more responsibility for their children and what they get up to on an iPad.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
What parents need to do is disable downloading of new apps and in app purchases, then make sure that their children don't discover the restrictions password.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes Restrictions would ensure this doesn't happen but not letting them have or see you using the password should be the first step.

Heck, I wouldn't give an 8 year old my iPad in the first place! ;)

surfbeach

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes Restrictions would ensure this doesn't happen but not letting them have or see you using the password should be the first step.

Heck, I wouldn't give an 8 year old my iPad in the first place! ;)

I wouldn't either, Leilei but we have been out with that many people that give young kids their iphone, seemingly to placate them. One particular kid was a bit rough with the device, and the father on noticing this, proudly said he's already broken one. I know this is not exactly the same as giving kids your password but it's all part of the indulging parents of today.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I wouldn't either, Leilei but we have been out with that many people that give young kids their iphone, seemingly to placate them. One particular kid was a bit rough with the device, and the father on noticing this, proudly said he's already broken one. I know this is not exactly the same as giving kids your password but it's all part of the indulging parents of today.

Oh I agree totally with you.....parents are taking the far easier route of parenting today, which seems to be just indulging their children. They're actually robbing their children from learning all they should in childhood. They will learn the hard way when their children think only of themselves and their own needs and wants and good traits like manners and respect fly out the door.

And where are my manners!......Welcome to the Forum! Enjoy! ;)

Most reactions

Latest posts