What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple Plans to Discontinue the Non-Retina iPad 2

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just what does the retirement of #2 mean to us owners? Will our iPads still be supported? How long will we be able to continue using them? Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Although Apple is no longer selling new iPad 2's it will still offer servicing for several more years. You'll be able to continue using your iPad 2 for as long as it continues to do what you need it to do. It is likely, however, that the iPad 2 won't be getting the iOS 8 upgrade this fall.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Although Apple is no longer selling new iPad 2's it will still offer servicing for several more years. You'll be able to continue using your iPad 2 for as long as it continues to do what you need it to do. It is likely, however, that the iPad 2 won't be getting the iOS 8 upgrade this fall.

Yep, still plenty of enjoyment to be had out of the second gen iPad. It won't get OS updates but that's not that big of a deal until several more OS releases down the road.

Good karma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had the iPad 1 but never the iPad 2, but when I saw the iPad 2 at release I really wanted it. How times go and things change

gurkin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You say Apple are no longer selling the iPad 2 well how come they are still being sold here in the UK Argos are selling them for £299 , customers must be told if they purchase them that there will be no updates or support after a couple of years.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You say Apple are no longer selling the iPad 2 well how come they are still being sold here in the UK Argos are selling them for £299 , customers must be told if they purchase them that there will be no updates or support after a couple of years.
They aren't. What's being sold is stock that was shipped to retailers before Apple stopped production. When that stock runs out it won't be replaced.

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
They aren't. What's being sold is stock that was shipped to retailers before Apple stopped production. When that stock runs out it won't be replaced.
I was totally gobsmacked when i tuned into a well known shopping channel on UK tv last weekend and they were selling Refurbished iPad 1's at £199 each, Who on earth would want to pay that for an outdated tablet? Slightly off the subject i know but just thought i would throw it in :)

gurkin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
yes that's fine but who would be responsible for informing a purchaser that no updates will be issued will it be Apple or the Retailer, will it be made clear that IOS 8 will not be an update for the iPad 2

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
yes that's fine but who would be responsible for informing a purchaser that no updates will be issued will it be Apple or the Retailer, will it be made clear that IOS 8 will not be an update for the iPad 2
When Apple announces iOS 8 they will also announce which devices it's compatible with. Apple traditionally announces the new iOS at the WWDC in June, with the public release in mid September.

Most reactions