Apple Plans to Discontinue the Non-Retina iPad 2

Discussion in 'Apple iPad News' started by Maura, Feb 13, 2014.

1. iJamesH

iJamesH
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    I still have an iPad 3 and I don't plan on upgrading anytime soon. It still serves its purpose and that's web surfing and playing games.

2. s2mikey

s2mikey
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    That's the right attitude to take. I stayed with my iPad 2 until the Air came out and I only upgraded because my kids were bugging me all the time and needed their own iPad! ;)

3. jo.behr.5jobehro

jo.behr.5jobehro
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Just what does the retirement of #2 mean to us owners? Will our iPads still be supported? How long will we be able to continue using them?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. Gtatler

Gtatler
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Had my iPad 2 since November 2011 and have not had one single minute of problems with it. in fact I use it more than my PC. It is quick enough for my needs, deals with every app I have, and runs IOS 7.1 with no trouble at all. I have never been tempted to change it for a later model, and the comments about 3+ years support being more than enough are simply ridiculous.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

5. Gtatler

Gtatler
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Sorry I mis-quoted. Actually the words used above are "about time", not "more than enough".

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

6. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Although Apple is no longer selling new iPad 2's it will still offer servicing for several more years. You'll be able to continue using your iPad 2 for as long as it continues to do what you need it to do. It is likely, however, that the iPad 2 won't be getting the iOS 8 upgrade this fall.

7. s2mikey

s2mikey
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Yep, still plenty of enjoyment to be had out of the second gen iPad. It won't get OS updates but that's not that big of a deal until several more OS releases down the road.

8. Good karma

Good karma
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    I had the iPad 1 but never the iPad 2, but when I saw the iPad 2 at release I really wanted it. How times go and things change

9. gurkin

gurkin
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    You say Apple are no longer selling the iPad 2 well how come they are still being sold here in the UK Argos are selling them for £299 , customers must be told if they purchase them that there will be no updates or support after a couple of years.

10. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    They aren't. What's being sold is stock that was shipped to retailers before Apple stopped production. When that stock runs out it won't be replaced.