What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple Pay Starts Rolling Out, How to Set it up on Your iPad

RaduTyrsina

News Team
Reaction score
apple0132.jpg

Apple's much-awaited payment system Apple Pay is rolling out from today, and if you want to get it on your iPad as soon as possible, here are the steps you need to take.

Make sure that you have the iPad Air 2 or iPad Mini 3, as these are the iPad versions that will currently work with the system. Also, be aware that the iPads announced last week can only use the service for web purchases and not for payments at physical retail stores.

That’s because the iPhones have a built-in Near Field Communication antenna and the iPads don't. At least, not for now.

Next, you need to update your operating system to version iOS 8.1, which is also going to be released starting from today. Now, you need to open the Passbook app. You will then be asked if you want to use your credit or debit card already on file for iTunes purchases or add a new card.

If you choose not to use your iTunes account, Apple Pay currently works with Visa, Mastercard, and American Express. When you ask Passbook to load a new card into Apple Pay, it will activate your camera and prompts you to snap a photo of your card.

Apple will then analyze this image and interact with your bank to confirm that it indeed belongs to you. It's also important to note that Apple doesn’t even actually store your credit card number, nor does it give the number to merchants.

Source: Apple

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hold in mind that Apple Pay is not supported by every bank or credit card issuer. If your card issuer isn't on board yet the app will tell you so, after a long long wait in my case. *sigh*

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My moment of whining: although Chase bank is listed as an ApplePay player, my Amazon card, issued through Chase, is not.

As this is my sole use credit card, I don't get to play with ApplePay. :(

Here's hoping Amazon comes out to play ... soon!

Marilyn

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm actually considering a pre-paid Citi Bank debit card (or some other car issuer that supports Apple Pay).

I'm thinking I could use it as a kind of budget envelope device. Only put enough money on it for that months allowed expenses.

Yes, I'm making excuses so I can get Apple Pay before my bank gets around to accepting it, if they ever do. :)

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
How exactly does this work? Do I still need the use of credit cards to pay or can I use the real kind of money to pay with apple pay?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
How exactly does this work? Do I still need the use of credit cards to pay or can I use the real kind of money to pay with apple pay?

ApplePay works with credit cards; you'll need one to use it (and, you'll need one that will WORK with ApplePay...).

Here's an article from Apple's web site that describes ApplePay and how it works:

https://www.apple.com/iphone-6/apple-pay/

Hope that helps.

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts