What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple patent aims to make it safer to walk and text

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
"Last week, the United States Patent and Trademark Office published a patent application entitled ‘Transparent Texting’ that Apple filed in late 2012. In it, the company proposes to replace the background image of messaging applications with a live video feed from the device’s camera.

This effect would create the illusion that the device has a transparent display, allowing users to see what lies in front of them while they are texting. The goal of the invention is to make it safer for iPhone (and other mobile device) users to text and perform other functions while walking…"

Source: iDownloadBlog

OP
A

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This sounds like a very good idea......although I'm not prone to texting as I'm walking!

Same here. I normally step to the side and stop when I need to text. What Apple is looking to do is genius, in my opinion.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hmm....when I'm looking at my phone in my hand....my hand is behind the phone, so I don't see how being able to see through the phone solved the problem if I have to hold the phone....I must be missing something. :) Maybe the phone will float in front of me a foot and a half so I don't need to hold it. That is genius!!

OP
A

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hmm....when I'm looking at my phone in my hand....my hand is behind the phone, so I don't see how being able to see through the phone solved the problem if I have to hold the phone....I must be missing something. :) Maybe the phone will float in front of me a foot and a half so I don't need to hold it. That is genius!!

It sounds like Apple is hoping to display the view in front of the phone (opposite the user), via the phone's camera, so that the user can see the sidewalk/street and passersby in the background while they are texting. This would aid in avoiding walking into something, or someone, while texting. Think "heads up display".

Most reactions

Latest posts