What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple Officially Confirms that Tattoos Can Affect the Heart Rate Sensor on the Apple Watch

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Reaction score

Yesterday we reported a story that seemed almost unbelievable. Supposedly, the Heart Rate sensor on the Apple Watch could have its functionality negatively impacted by the presence of a tattoo on your skin underneath the watch. There's even a video presentation of the problem which we have shown above.

It turns out this isn't some weird voodoo magic, and has actually been confirmed by Apple themselves. They recently updated their Apple Watch landing page and included a description of the problem. Here's what they said,

Permanent or temporary changes to your skin, such as some tattoos, can also impact heart rate sensor performance. The ink, pattern, and saturation of some tattoos can block light from the sensor, making it difficult to get reliable readings.

Apple also shared several other things which could affect the performance of the heart rate sensor. You can read all about it in the source link below. What do you think? Will this problem keep you from purchasing the Apple Watch?

Source: Your heart rate. What it means and where on Apple Watch you ll find it. - Apple Support

Asharp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Gee. I wear my Apple Watch on the same wrist as my tattoo. But without another device to check my heart rate, I can' tell if it's reliable or not. I'm not as inked as the person shown in the picture. I guess I'll have to switch to wearing my Watch on my right wrist for any time I might do workouts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Latest posts