1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Apple Makes Free Download of Messages Beta for OS X Mountain Lion Available

Discussion in 'Apple iPad News' started by Maura, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Maura

Maura iPadForums News Team

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0
    [FONT=&amp]
    [​IMG]

Following on from Apple’s announcement of the forthcoming OS X Mountain Lion, Apple is giving Mac owners the chance to get a little sneak preview of one of the new features, by making the Messages beta available as a free download (click on the link below to get it). When you install Messages on your Mac, it will replace iChat, although your iChat services will still work, so don’t panic! Basically what Messages does is bring iMessage to the Mac, to bring it in line with devices running iOS 5, namely the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch, which seems to be the main thrust behind OS X Mountain Lion. Main features of Messages include the ability to send unlimited iMessages to any Mac, iPad, iPhone or iPod touch, as well as being able to start an iMessage conversation on your Mac and continue it on your iOS device. You can also use it to send photos, videos, attachments, contacts, locations and much more, or launch a FaceTime video call. According to Apple, Messages supports iMessage, AIM, Yahoo!, Google Talk and Jabber accounts. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Source: Apple - Mac OS X - Download the free Messages Beta.[/FONT]
  2. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,915 / 1
    A TUAW article said it's still pretty buggy. Mostly hard to get messages to go to the right (or all) devices if you have more than one device/computer using the service.
  3. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,915 / 1
  4. thewitt

thewitt iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0
    It's a beta :)

You should be prepared to encounter bugs, but if you report them to Apple, hopefully they will be cleared up for the release.

It's actually working fine for me with no issues yet.
  5. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,915 / 1
    Good to know.

I'd download it myself, but I don't have a single person who I message with. I'm a null test case. :)
  6. eKindom

eKindom iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
  7. thewitt

thewitt iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0
    I've read where some people are having problems syncing with all of their devices, but it works the same as on my iPad. Any new conversations show up on my logged in iMessage on the Mac, the iPad and the iPhone.

There are still missing features, like you cannot attach images, but the basic functions seem to work fine.