What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple itunes HD movies, really HD??

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I purchased a HD movie off of itunes at the weekend and then I played it on my LCD tv using the componant cable, but it definitely didn't look HD, is this the cable or the fact that it was ordered off of the ipad??

cheers

robertlc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Would need to know what it says the resolution is.

If it was an old movie, just "bumped up" to HD specs, then there's not going to be a lot of improvement.

As far as the cable goes, I use cables I buy from [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Super-Resolution-Cable-DVI-Gear/dp/B0002L5R78/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1204150160&sr=8-1"]Amazon for no more than $2.43 each[/ame].

I purchased these per CNET's recommendation (There's no reason to pay extra for HDMI cables.) and my HD channels/Blu-rays look great. There's no big difference in cables. The signal is digital, either you have it or you don't. A $50+ cable isn't going to help.

I like going to stores like Best Buy and listening to the salespeople push the expensive cables on ordinary people. Followed a salesman and customer around a Target last weekend listening to the load of rubbish the salesman was unloading to sell the high-end cable for an HDTV to a guy. Wanted to but in, but I'm too nice.

Last edited:
OP
addiosamigo

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It was grown ups, so a new movie, but I purchased it on the iPad and streamed it.

Cheers

OP
addiosamigo

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ITS ME DAVID said:
Because the component only outputs 480p get the iPad 2 with new hdmi av adaptor because it outputs to 720p

Haha I'll tell my misses that I need an ipad2 to output movies at 720p lol maybe she'll let me get one!

Cheers I never knew that, the hdmi adaptor will still output 720p on iPad 1st gen, but sssh don't tell her...

Most reactions