What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple Issues Statement on Maps Issues

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's a statement from Tim Cook on the issues with Maps. I thought I'd copy it here.

Tim Cook said:
To our customers,
At Apple, we strive to make world-class products that deliver the best experience possible to our customers. With the launch of our new Maps last week, we fell short on this commitment. We are extremely sorry for the frustration this has caused our customers and we are doing everything we can to make Maps better.
We launched Maps initially with the first version of iOS. As time progressed, we wanted to provide our customers with even better Maps including features such as turn-by-turn directions, voice integration, Flyover and vector-based maps. In order to do this, we had to create a new version of Maps from the ground up.
There are already more than 100 million iOS devices using the new Apple Maps, with more and more joining us every day. In just over a week, iOS users with the new Maps have already searched for nearly half a billion locations. The more our customers use our Maps the better it will get and we greatly appreciate all of the feedback we have received from you.
While we're improving Maps, you can try alternatives by downloading map apps from the App Store like Bing, MapQuest and Waze, or use Google or Nokia maps by going to their websites and creating an icon on your home screen to their web app.
Everything we do at Apple is aimed at making our products the best in the world. We know that you expect that from us, and we will keep working non-stop until Maps lives up to the same incredibly high standard.
Tim Cook
Apple's CEO

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hmm..okay! So sad. It's not good. Thanks anyway for the response. I'll be just patiently waiting here for it to be fixed and maybe that's the time for me to be one of the iOS 6 users..hihi thanks BUddy

It really depends on whether the old Maps app was important to you, or not. I used it, but not heavily, and have always had a good third party map app for when I'm offline; so while I miss Street View a bit I can't say ti really affects me; not enough for me to go out and get one of the third party apps anyway.

And the YouTub app is gone; but seriously, there are plenty of ways around that and the iOS app hasn't been the best option for quite some time. That's just my opinion, obviously.

Other than that, iOS 6 is a decent update. It adds a lot of little niceties that you don't realize are there until out start using them.

Other's obviously feel differently.

You need to make the choice based on your use case, needs, wants, etc. Not just blindly accept an opinion; including mine. ;) read up a bit more, and make your decision.

Here is a bit of the positives to counter the negatives.

http://www.ipadforums.net/ios-6/90581-getting-most-out-ios-6-a.html

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Along with Tim Cook's open letter, Apple has added a new section to the iTunes store to help you find maps apps. While hardly complete, it should help. Though I noticed, with amusement, that none of the apps shown use Google maps.

image-4094132857.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
A warning for those choosing between these apps. The Motion X GPS Drive app appears to be using the same data as the iOS 6 maps app. Unlike the Motion X GPS HD app (not for driving) you can't choose a different map source.

shengkz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks a lot buddy. Now i knew it. Realizing now i don't need the map app though.hihi gotta read you link. Thanks again

Most reactions

Latest posts