What's new
Apple iPad Forum šŸŽ

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple is Being Sued for Using the iWatch Name

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
Apple Watch diagnostic port is chargeable.JPG

According to a report on BloombergBusiness today, Apple is being sued by an Irish software development studio for how it is using the term ā€œiWatchā€ in advertisements.

Despite the fact that the device is called the Apple Watch, rather than the iWatch, when you type ā€œiWatchā€ into Googleā€™s search engine, the first thing youā€™ll usually see is an advertisement for the Apple Watch. This is because Apple pays to advertise with Google in order to attract potential customers who search for the wrong name (albeit a name that was widely used prior to the announcement that Appleā€™s wearable would be called the Apple Watch).

This, however, has angered the small Dublin-based firm, Probendi, which is the actual owner of the iWatch trademark in Europe. Probendi has now filed a procedure with a court in Milan in protest at Appleā€™s use of the term to direct customers to Appleā€™s own Apple Watch website.

Probendiā€™s lawyer says that he has not heard from Apple on the matter, and Google has said that it is not responsible for links.

According to an audit commissioned by Probendi, the iWatch trademark is valued at ā‚¬87 million, or $97 million. Apple previously paid out $60 million to settle a trademark dispute in China over the rights to use the iPad name.

The case will be heard on November 11.

Source: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-though-that-s-not-what-its-product-is-called

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Prior to the release of the Apple Watch, I always referred it as the iwatch, since everything else starts with the letter "I." :) ....made sense to me!

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Probendi is just sitting on the name in the hope that Apple will license it or buy it outright - it's a money grab tactic. If I were Apple, I would refuse and come up with something else.

Most reactions

Latest posts