APPLE iPAD VS EVO 4G

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by soulfulms, Jun 14, 2010.

1. soulfulms

soulfulms
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    hi...i'm a newbie on this forum...while i do not own either...what are your thoughts about comparing the 2...realizing we are comparing apples (no pun intended) to oranges...could any of you see the similarities between the 2 devices?:confused:

2. Seadog

Seadog
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Right now the Evo is suffering quality issues which is causing the glass to separate from the body. Not much like that happening to iPhones.

3. soulfulms

soulfulms
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    what i am asking is do you think you could get by with a 4G smartphone in PLACE of an iPad?

4. Sonny Burnett

Sonny Burnett
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    You can't compare two different class devices like this as there is no reference point.

It is like comparing a Funny Car to a Stationary Bike.

5. soulfulms

soulfulms
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    awhhh come on...there are some overlaps...the question is could you live with what the other has or hasn't??:eek:

6. Seadog

Seadog
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    One is phone that can do other things, the other does everything else better, but cannot be considered a phone.

7. pallentx

pallentx
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    They are different, but I am doing something similar. I ditched my Samsung Omnia for the iPad and a simple, free feature phone. The main thing I miss is real texting, but its not a huge problem. With Text + I can initiate SMS conversations with any phone user and if someone messages me on my phone, I just reply on the ipad as if I'm starting a new conversation with that person and continue the conversation on the ipad.

8. iDan

iDan
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The EVO 4G is a slick phone, I've only played around with it in stores, but I have a loaner coming next week that I'll be able to spend a little more time with.

Like the others said, it's very hard to compare the evo 4g against the iPad. Two completely different devices, OS's, purposes, etc. In my life a smart phone is a must, so that would be first on my list of gadgets.

9. Matth3w

Matth3w
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    If you absolutely had to pick one, pick the iPad. The EVO has atrocious battery life. So even if the EVO could do every last thing the iPad could do and more, the battery might last about 1/5 or worse of the iPad. Play a game on the EVO or download and surf the internet for a few hours and I bet the battery would be in the red....whereas with my iPad, I've been using it all day and it's at 70 some percent.

10. iceman

iceman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Do what I do. I have a cheap track phone for calls and an iPad for when I am out and about :)

I agree with the others though. It's hard to compare. They are different types of devices. Smartphones are easier to carry around, but when it comes to using, the iPad is much better because of the larger screen.

I wouldn't mind getting a smartphone, but I can't see spending $100 a month so that I can check my mail and send text messages, which is what I would do mostly on a smartphone.