What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

apple ipad slim case equivalent

DashSatan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I love the look of the stock case apple makes for the ipad. It's slim, and simple, just a simple cover and kickstand back. That's all I want but my roommate said that it frays at the edges after a while and sort of tears. Is there any case out there that's similar to this original case? I really just want something super slim like it. Also does anyone have their own opinions on that case?

MachThree

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My opinion

I just posted a review of the MarWare Hybrid C.E.O. case - the interior of the case is made from a similar material to the Apple case - while the outer portion is carbon fiber and a bit tougher. I think overall it will be more durable than the apple case in the long run. Practically speaking, when the cases are closed they're the same size - the Marware case being *slightly* thicker, but the whole combination is very thin. Feature-wise, compared to the apple case it lets you stand up the iPad in landscape orientation at three different angles (compared to Apple's one), has a hand strap so you can hold the ipad up with your palm and use it with the other hand. It also has a small elastic strap that can be used as a carrying stand.

OP
D

DashSatan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks man, i really appreciate that. what are your opinions on the apple case? do you think it's not that durable or is it decent. like i said all i need it for is to cover the screen really. i'm not looking for protection cause i'm super careful with my electronics, i just want a slim cover so when i put it in my messanger bag it wont hurt the screen.

dogenia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple case

Still have mine but it got smudgy after a while on the outside, not Apples fault but my baby really likes that Ipad.

Havent found anything slimmer yet. Great case and still the backup.

Moved on to the Vaja Agenda 2 now.

MachThree

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks man, i really appreciate that. what are your opinions on the apple case? do you think it's not that durable or is it decent. like i said all i need it for is to cover the screen really. i'm not looking for protection cause i'm super careful with my electronics, i just want a slim cover so when i put it in my messanger bag it wont hurt the screen.

Maybe what you really want isn't a case at all, but a screen protector film, like [ame="http://www.amazon.com/splash-Masque-Screen-Protector-Invisible/dp/B003THHXVU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1291928431&sr=8-1"]this one at Amazon.com[/ame]

Or perhaps just a neoprene sleeve - you can find one or two different ones at Incase: A better experience through good design. and amazon has numerous ones for the iPad.

Anyway, another member of my family has the Apple case so I've seen it once or twice. Personally I wanted something that would offer among other things a little bit more protection than the Apple case does. To me the Apple case is just a very thin sheet of cardboard (ok, something a little tougher than cardboard) wrapped in a thin layer of velvet - I do like the look of it somewhat and its compactness but I couldn't envision carrying the iPad around in that without an additional bag, and couldn't imagine it helping if I dropped the thing even from a very modest height. I'm very careful with my electronics too but that's no guarantee that nothing will ever happen.

kvizzel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Still have mine but it got smudgy after a while on the outside, not Apples fault but my baby really likes that Ipad.

Havent found anything slimmer yet. Great case and still the backup.

Moved on to the Vaja Agenda 2 now.

I agree, I love the Apple Case, but hate how it gets so easily dirty.

The Apple Case is now my backup and I bought a Candy Speck.

Yes, it adds bulk, but it does great protection.

I'm looking into a full body protection so I can have the iPad naked. ;)

CMFox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I love the look of the stock case apple makes for the ipad. It's slim, and simple, just a simple cover and kickstand back. That's all I want but my roommate said that it frays at the edges after a while and sort of tears. Is there any case out there that's similar to this original case? I really just want something super slim like it. Also does anyone have their own opinions on that case?

Has your roommate used one? I've had my iPad in one since June. Its been all over the country, jammed into a bag, pulled out, used with greasy fingers....passed around...and the Apple case still looks great. I expected some wear and tear after the way I abuse it...but other then a few finger prints I'm too lazy to clean off my iPad apple case is as good as new.

hth

OP
D

DashSatan

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Has your roommate used one? I've had my iPad in one since June. Its been all over the country, jammed into a bag, pulled out, used with greasy fingers....passed around...and the Apple case still looks great. I expected some wear and tear after the way I abuse it...but other then a few finger prints I'm too lazy to clean off my iPad apple case is as good as new.

hth

Yeah he used to have the case, said that the edges are like glued and it frays or something like that. But if you have gone through so much with out tear I should be fine I guess. And you like the case?

CMFox

iPF Noob
Reaction score

hth

Yeah he used to have the case, said that the edges are like glued and it frays or something like that. But if you have gone through so much with out tear I should be fine I guess. And you like the case?

Yes I do like the case. One thing I look at with other cases when I am tempted by different colors, is the corner protections. The apple case is solid with a "flange" all around the edges and corners. I have the theory that a dropped iPad always will land on its corner and I want that part in particular protected. The iPad case seems to be the only one that protects the corners like this.

What did your roommate do with his case? Open beer bottles with the case? I just don't see any wear and tear on mine and I don't think I've been all that careful.

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've had my standard Apple case since the day iPads went on sale, and I use it EVERY day. No signs of wear besides a few smudges.

I thought the stiff edges were a bit odd looking until I dropped it on a tile floor and the stiff edge it landed on absorbed the shock and kept the thing alive.

OP
D

DashSatan

iPF Noob
Reaction score

hth

Yes I do like the case. One thing I look at with other cases when I am tempted by different colors, is the corner protections. The apple case is solid with a "flange" all around the edges and corners. I have the theory that a dropped iPad always will land on its corner and I want that part in particular protected. The iPad case seems to be the only one that protects the corners like this.

What did your roommate do with his case? Open beer bottles with the case? I just don't see any wear and tear on mine and I don't think I've been all that careful.

hahaha well i think i'll take your word for it and go with the apple case. thanks man!

Carll

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple case

I purchased my iPad with the apple case because of the salesman in the applecshop, he had one, and it had been the same one since they got them in June, and it was not really worn at all.
My use will not be anywhere near what a shop assistants one will get, and I have to say it performs just fine.
Yes it does mark a little on the outside, however a damp cloth fixed this if i can be bothered.

Carl.

Most reactions

Latest posts