What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple Ipad mini?

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There already is an iPad mini, it's called the iPod touch.

Seriously, there are rumors going around about it but I doubt these pictures to be true. And there are so many talented designers at Apple that I also doubt they'd repeat a design, even miniaturize one...

Jake18oly

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Seriously, there are rumors going around about it but I doubt these pictures to be true. And there are so many talented designers at Apple that I also doubt they'd repeat a design, even miniaturize one...

Lol! iPod Touch. That is exactly what I was thinking! I am pretty sure the pictures were just speculative mockups of a scaled down iPad. I don't really see it happening anytime soon because it could fragment the market but who knows!

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Speculation is rife due to analysis of apple's forward ordering which includes 7" touch screens. It's still guesswork though as to how they will be used.
Frankly after using the iPad's screen I'd be loathe to downsize even if it was more portable.

George Knighton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well. Your iPod Touch does not have a 1280x1024 7" screen. If they can get the Retina Display to work on a 7" screen, it's going to be absolutely brilliant.

You'll be able to read things that you'd never have thought you'd be able to read on a tiny 7" screen.

I don't think the miniature iPad will be for me, though, because I have to do some typing, and as it is the screen keypad on the 10" iPad is almost too small for me.

Now...if they can manage to get the Retina Display on the full sized iPad, I will probably have to waste another $1,000 buying the new one. They can't do it with the A4 processor and current PowerVR graphics, but the upcoming A9 multi-core processor will probably be strong enough and run cool enough to be able to do it.

There are some nice things right around the corner. Great stuff.

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I wouldn't put any stock in that article/post. It claims to be running OSX mini which by the mock-ups looks like more of a desktop style OS. I seriously doubt Apple would go that route, though I would personally find it very interesting.

iceman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After having the current iPad for several months, I really can't get excited about a 7 inch model.

OTOH, I'm sure there are people who would like the smaller size, so I hope they build one.

I'm not sure what would make me upgrade. I like the current display so changes there would probably not convince me. A faster processor and better multitasking would be good, but if that decreased the battery life, I probably would not upgrade.

G.P

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm curious as to where an Ipad mini would fit in the grand scheme of things, from a price perspective. The high end Ipod touch is,what, $349? The low end Ipad $499? Where would you price the 7 inch Ipad minis, at $429? For $70 more, you may as well get the bigger Ipad. Same with the touch, why get the high end touch for $349, when you can pay another $70 or so and get the 7" mini? Am I looking at this the wrong way? It just seems like a Ipad mini wouldn't be much more portable than the regular pad, neither fits in your pocket. So I'm not sure I see the point, if you want true portability, the touch is where it's at. But I can't see much point in a 7" version of the Ipad.

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm curious as to where an Ipad mini would fit in the grand scheme of things, from a price perspective. The high end Ipod touch is,what, $349? The low end Ipad $499? Where would you price the 7 inch Ipad minis, at $429? For $70 more, you may as well get the bigger Ipad. Same with the touch, why get the high end touch for $349, when you can pay another $70 or so and get the 7" mini? Am I looking at this the wrong way? It just seems like a Ipad mini wouldn't be much more portable than the regular pad, neither fits in your pocket. So I'm not sure I see the point, if you want true portability, the touch is where it's at. But I can't see much point in a 7" version of the Ipad.

I'm with you. I would either want pocket-sized or big. In between seems pointless. But, who knows, maybe there's people out there looking for such a thing...

OP
S

stephaniH

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, But it would be really nice to have this iPad Mini in the pocket, I like the specs.

George Knighton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wouldn't put any stock in that article/post. It claims to be running OSX mini which by the mock-ups looks like more of a desktop style OS. I seriously doubt Apple would go that route, though I would personally find it very interesting.
If future iPad really do have the A9 quad-core, then they will have some very powerful processing power. I think they could do it if they wanted.

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm sure they could make it run, it just seems counter to their whole philosophy of push iOS onto everything.

Most reactions

Latest posts