Apple iPad gets the new Gmail app

Discussion in 'Apple iPad News' started by iDan, Nov 1, 2011.

1. iDan

iDan Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +94 / 2
    [​IMG]

It’s a no brainer why iOS users have been without an official Gmail up since day one. Obviously because the “G†in Gmail stands for Google. Thus, Android phone would be expected to receive the better mobile version of the app in the same way that the YouTube client on Android gives users the option to see videos in crystal clear quality. Apple has not seemed too keen of having a second e-mail client on its iPhones. And after reading Steve Jobs biography, it’s now very clear that the relationships between the two companies hasn’t been exactly friendly.

Nevertheless, you can now get your hands on the latest version of the Google Mobile App, so you can set your iPhone to receive Push Notification each time you get a new Gmail message or when you have a Google Calendar alter. Google has managed to sneak into tablets its Gmail app as well. While surfing on the web on your iPad, it’s expected you will want to check your Gmail. Now if you go to gmail.com in your browser, you’ll see something different than what you’re used to on the desktop. Google is releasing an experimental user interface for the iPad built on the Gmail for mobile HTML 5. To take advantage of the iPad’s large display, they created a two-pane view with your list of conversations on the left and messages to the right.

If we’re curious, we can probably take a look of how the app will look from most Android phones currently out there on the market and still wonder what will make it different from their already quite beautiful web version?

Source: T3
    • Like Like x 2
  2. jcherepy

jcherepy iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Short-lived.

As reported on several Websites.

Google has pulled its iOS Gmail app just hours after it launched, citing a bug which crippled its functionality.
    "Unfortunately, it contained a bug which broke notifications and caused users to see an error message when first opening the app," Google's Gmail team explained.
    "Sorry we messed up," the Gmail team added on Twitter.
  3. A.K

A.K iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Well the current mail app on I pad is very good.i won't be downloading the gmail app even if it was good.
  4. theater

theater iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well, at least they owned up to their mistake. Others would not even comment about it.
  5. Chays

Chays iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    I really look forward to the app being released, as I think the contact part must be a nice to have.
  6. KintasS

KintasS iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Does anybody know when this app will be back in the App Store? I thought it was going to be up again in a few hours after the mistake they made, but it's been a week and nothing (or at least I didn't hear nothing about it...).

Thx!
  7. afc

afc iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    +1 waiting for this app and would be great if it looks like the one they have for nokias

Why looking forward to it? Mainly to have Password protection...and also always prefer to have the software house's own apps so this way you are not required to enter your passwords on 3rd paties apps :) no I am not paranoid about it at all :)

Cheers
    AC

Sent from my iPhone
  8. cindykenward

cindykenward iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have set up my G-Mail as an Exchange on my I devices. This way they are all in sync with each other. I love it.
  9. jsh1120

jsh1120 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0
    I use gmail as a vast, largely unsorted repository of emails. I forward corporate and personal email to it automatically. And I use the gmail account as an email address for a variety of sites that I don't want to clog up my usual inbox. Google's search facility is superb and I can almost always find some obscure email that I've long since deleted from my system at home. When I purchased the iPad I simply linked the email client to my gmail account. Works well for checking recent emails and responding quickly if I'm out and about.

Where this approach fails and I'm hoping a real Gmail app will succeed is in mail maintenance. The latest version of the iPad email app at least enables a limited search capability, i.e. show me all the emails from iPad Forum. What it does NOT allow me to do is to select the entire set of emails returned from a search and do something (like delete) with them. For that I have to log into the browser version of gmail. It's annoying.
  10. jcherepy

jcherepy iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well, it's back and it looks good so far. I got it on my iPhone and iPad. I guess time will tell.
  11. jsh1120

jsh1120 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0
    That's odd. Can't find it in the App Store.
  12. tlbaker

tlbaker iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +105 / 0
    Try gmail or google IOS

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 IOS 5.0.1 Update using iPF
  13. tlbaker

tlbaker iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +105 / 0
    Better try google mail.

14. col.bris

col.bris Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +466 / 0
    I use apple mail however there are times when I like to log in direct and for example delete emails or do other maintenance.

The new version seems fine no issues so far.
  15. andrewak

andrewak iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    It's nice, but sending attaches to other apps through safari isn't good for me.
  16. afc

afc iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Deception! That's what I call to the new G's app. It's not much different than loggin into their mobile website. Was expecting something MUCH better

Maybe it's just me :(

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone
  17. tlbaker

tlbaker iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +105 / 0
    It's OK. I LOVE the G-Whizz app which has Google Voice, Facebook, Twitter, Gmail, an others which I don't even use... They need to update the app though. Of course the paid app is updated for IOS 5. Free one is not - still waiting for Apple to approve ... Whatever....

18. jsh1120

jsh1120 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0
    Discovered the fix for the fact that the new Google Mail app was not showing up in the App Store. Turns out that I was one rev behind in updating iTunes on my computer. Once I went through the pain of downloading and installing the latest version of iTunes, Gmail showed up in the App Store.

Not impressed with the app itself. It lacks the mass select feature necessary to do mass moves/deletes of multiple emails. Still have to do that on the net.
  19. Ncaissie

Ncaissie iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I don’t like it either.
    It is hard to tell which emails are new. They are only a shade lighter. Also like the android version it says I have emails some times and don't show up in the inbox.
  20. jsh1120

jsh1120 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0
    Could be a bug, but you might also have a filter in gmail that immediately puts some emails into folders other than the inbox.