What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple iPad already popular at Airports says Boingo Wireless

JohnnyApple

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
boingowireless.jpg

How popular is the iPad at airports already? Well, it's right behind the iPhone as far as devices that access the internet that aren't full "laptops". Pretty good for only being out for 5 days or so :) Here's the full quote from Boingo:

BoingoWireless said:
Los Angeles-based Boingo Wireless, which operates a network of Wi-Fi access points, reported Wednesday that the Apple iPad--four days after launch--is now the second most popular, non-laptop device accessing its airport network. The firm said iPads have displaced Android devices as the second most popular device. The most popular, non-laptop device, with 90 percent of connections at Boingo's airports, is the Apple iPhone. Android phones only represent 2.5 percent of accesses to the firm's airport networks.

Source: Boingo Wireless: iPad Already Popular Device At Airports | socalTECH.com

dennis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not surprised that the iPad has become this popular among travelers, but I AM surprised it has achieved this level so quickly. I would never have guessed it would happen this fast.

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I can believe this and it wouldn't surprise to see this device number 1 in a few months. As more specialized apps come out for the iPad, the less you'll need a notebook when traveling.

rob the elder

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Before we get all gaga about this, there is not sufficient data provided to actually draw any conclusions other than when People go to an airport they have their IPHONE and its turned on. They automatically seek a network if you check the weather or basically do anything that requries external data. Its not an activity that the user generally executes.

As to the IPAD, having lived with mine since April 3 I like it and it has a lot of features I like but its still not a replacement for a laptop if you have real computing to perform. Its great for reading, casual email, web searches etc, but it is not going to be running a NASTRAN model or playing WOW any time soon.

It does what it does very well but the continual euphoria about how the IPAD is replacing the laptop is just ill advised. At least for now. When it comes with a keyboard, mouse, HDMI ports, USB ports and can run any Winapp then I will start considering it as a replacement for my laptop.

Most reactions