What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple iPad 2 - Big deal or not?

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm still confused why they chose to make the iPad with 256MB of memory
Suspect it was deliberate to keep the price down initially when they were uncertain if tablets would take off.
Remember it was just a large iPod then :)

It could have been price, but if so it didn't save them much. The 256MB RAM chip in the iPad costs Apple a whopping $10. Looking at the profit margin on iPads an extra $10 wouldn't have hurt the bottom line much.

I think they made it 256MB so you would want the next version that has 512MB. And a better processor, etc. If you make the perfect tablet the first time around, who is going to buy the next version?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It could have been price, but if so it didn't save them much. The 256MB RAM chip in the iPad costs Apple a whopping $10. Looking at the profit margin on iPads an extra $10 wouldn't have hurt the bottom line much.

I think they made it 256MB so you would want the next version that has 512MB. And a better processor, etc. If you make the perfect tablet the first time around, who is going to buy the next version?

Two observations.

One; There were lots of little things Apple could have done. While none of the individually add up to much, together they tend to add up very quickly. Anyone who is trying to save a little money (say for an iPad 2) knows it's the little things you skip that make the biggest difference.

Two: $10 sounds like very little money, but when you multiply it by a few million iPads, it's a good chunk of money that could be used for research and/or other projects, employees, whatever.

Put those two together and your talking about serious cash. Maybe not compared to Appel's over all net worth, but companies don't achieve that kind of net worth by ignoring mere millions.

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Two observations.

One; There were lots of little things Apple could have done. While none of the individually add up to much, together they tend to add up very quickly. Anyone who is trying to save a little money (say for an iPad 2) knows it's the little things you skip that make the biggest difference.

Two: $10 sounds like very little money, but when you multiply it by a few million iPads, it's a good chunk of money that could be used for research and/or other projects, employees, whatever.

Put those two together and your talking about serious cash. Maybe not compared to Appel's over all net worth, but companies don't achieve that kind of net worth by ignoring mere millions.

I agree with you. The economies of scale are enormous when you are talking about millions of units. Still, I think Apple plans these things out over several generations of devices to make upgrades more enticing. Both are probably good business practices in the end.

AHMBE

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been waiting since the launch of the Ipad for the 2nd Generation, so yes this is a big deal for me. I also think the addition of the camera and potential for the Thunderbolt make it an even more alluring purchase. If I already had the first Gen I'd probably wait until the 3rd.

As a Digital DJ the Thunderbolt opens up a whole spectrum of possibilities with midi control and effects processors that I currently connect to my MBP via USB. I don't think I'm going to get the latest MBP this year as mine is only a year old but you best believe I'm upgrading next year. I plan to upgrade on my Ipad every 2 years and MBP every 3 years. The lifespan of technology seems to get shorter and shorter and unfortunately my funds are even shorter :p.

Rperez414

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If the ipad2 is a Thunderbolt optimized device that would be huge. Syncing movies and video podcasts in seconds from itunes would be amazing.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Rperez414 said:
If the ipad2 is a Thunderbolt optimized device that would be huge. Syncing movies and video podcasts in seconds from itunes would be amazing.

I hope apple does include the thunderbolt plug. Syncing apps and such with USB is SO slow.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I doubt that Thunderbolt will be on this generation. Maybe 4th generation. The big issue is there is a real reason for all the pins on the iPod connector. It will not be replaced by another single plug easily. From what I have read about Thunderbolt, it will be a long time before the iPad will be able to use it. But when it happens, it will be time to buy a new iPad.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think that what may really make the difference with iPad 2 and the original iPad is going to possibly be iOS 5. The difficulties with some improvements getting to market will make them unavailable until the third generation, what ever they call it. But there are some potential add-ins with the new iOS that will expand the capabilities.

Gunny008

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Guess to summarise this thread...iPad 2 will be a big deal to people who have WAITED for it for 1 year now.

The majority of iPad 1 owners will be like...meh...and will sit iPad 2 out and see what iPad 3 has to offer

appency

iPF Noob
Reaction score
True story!

Guess to summarise this thread...iPad 2 will be a big deal to people who have WAITED for it for 1 year now.

The majority of iPad 1 owners will be like...meh...and will sit iPad 2 out and see what iPad 3 has to offer

Agreed! Such is life with an Apple product :)

Tasty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I will not be buying the Ipad2 unless it has some big changes, like extensive memory other than that I will not be buying it.

Tarpasashack

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Goldman Sachs

I just saw an article from Goldman Sachs that called the iPad 2 an "important upgrade". I agree, with all of the tablet competition coming up they can not, and knowing Apple will not put out an iPad 1.5 so so upgrade. There has been much speculation and guessing and second guessing about the features. NOBODY KNOWS!

We will find out Wednesday...

I'll buy...

Most reactions

Latest posts