What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple iPad 2 - Big deal or not?

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Where the dual core processors come into play is for multitasking and when apps are specifically designed to take advantage of both cores. Unless Apple redesigns iOS to support true multitasking with apps actually RUNNING in the background (instead of just frozen state) only a select few apps will really be able to utilize the power of the dual core. This is why all the new Android tablets are getting it, because they do a lot of multitasking.

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That won't happen.

The Apple CEO said, "Given that all tablet users will already have a smartphone in their pocket, giving up precious display area to fit a tablet in their pocket is clearly the wrong trade off. The seven-inch tablets are tweeners, too big to be a phone and too small to compete with the iPad."

Tx for the clarification pal, so now I gotta think to buy Ipad or wait for Ipad 2 :) Thanks.

You can get a Refurb 16gb WiFi from Apple for about 430$ if you have to have one now.

Else wait a few months and a revised version should be out.

eozen81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can get a Refurb 16gb WiFi from Apple for about 430$ if you have to have one now.

Else wait a few months and a revised version should be out.

Unfortunately I am Turkish not US citizen :D Belive me Ipad has started to be sold here just 1 month ago, so think about Ipad 2 with a simple calculation.

But I will be visiting Hong Kong between March 10-14 but still I am hopeless Asian market will be selling Ipad-2 within those dates. :confused:

GrendelPrime

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am planning to upgrade.
I recently sold my iPad, getting about $80 less than I paid for it, but significantly more than the market would dictate once the next gen is announced.

I look at it as having rented it for $10/mo.

I really want to see the 'Retina' screen on the next gen, but don't expect it anytime soon.

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am planning to upgrade.
I recently sold my iPad, getting about $80 less than I paid for it, but significantly more than the market would dictate once the next gen is announced.

I look at it as having rented it for $10/mo.

I really want to see the 'Retina' screen on the next gen, but don't expect it anytime soon.

I would like to do the same, but I use mine too much on a daily basis....and the wife would want a new one as well if I got one.

jacson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
BOTH fit in my budget. My mind says get the 3gs because it will cost 100+ to fix my current Iphone. But then when the new iphone comes out I'll def want it and will have to pay the no-commitment price! Idk if that will be after 2 years though. Only time will tell. I need OPINIONS

unimatrixzer0

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For me I guess it depends if it'll have hardware acceleration for HD or not. If not I'll probably settle for a deal on a refurb first gen iPad from Apple.

FileSpnr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
for me yea, it's a big deal, because i have been wanting a 2nd ipad forever, and it gives me a good reason to get one.

Plus, I want to use midi controllers with some dj apps, so my fingers are crossed for a usb port

Johntechwriter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.johntechwriter.com
I think it would be a mistake for Apple to upgrade the iPad's performance to the point where it competes with laptops. That would be defeating the mission of the iPad: to return to the "personal computer" concept via a versatile, inexpensive, portable notebook you can use for communication and information access. Who doesn't own another computer in addition to their iPad? Why would anyone do photo retouching on an iPad? It's completely unsuitable for this tricky process. Serious gaming requires the most powerful PCs in the industry.

My 64-bit Toshiba does the heavy lifting in my home office. But when it's time to linger in bed on a Sunday morning with my little dog looking over my shoulder, nothing beats my iPad and Netflix combo..

My desired future features? Dual cams and video chat.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple just released the new MacBooks and I see something I would love to see on one of the next generation of iPads. Their Thunderbolt port is a super high speed eventual replacement for USB and FireWire, plus a Mini Display Port. It can handle 10mA of output, so if it can handle that input, it would be a great interface. I doubt that Apple will do that anytime soon, but I can always wish.

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm interested to hear about this rumored "A5" processor that is being reported it will be on the iPad2. Also, (rumors again) apparently it's going to have 512MB of RAM, this makes me think that nothing is going to change in the way iOS5 does multi-tasking, which is unfortunate.

I'm still confused why they chose to make the iPad with 256MB of memory, 512MB for the iPad and 1GB for the iPad 2 makes more sense as far as keeping up with technology goes.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm still confused why they chose to make the iPad with 256MB of memory

Suspect it was deliberate to keep the price down initially when they were uncertain if tablets would take off.
Remember it was just a large iPod then :)

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm interested to hear about this rumored "A5" processor that is being reported it will be on the iPad2. Also, (rumors again) apparently it's going to have 512MB of RAM, this makes me think that nothing is going to change in the way iOS5 does multi-tasking, which is unfortunate.

I'm still confused why they chose to make the iPad with 256MB of memory, 512MB for the iPad and 1GB for the iPad 2 makes more sense as far as keeping up with technology goes.

Im right along with ya on this one. Apple baffles the mind..lol. 1gb of RAM woulda been perfect. Its sounding like more n more of a reason for me not to upgrade to ipad2 n just wait for ipad3 few months after ;-)

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What I am hearing lately is that the pundits think that the enhanced screen and SD card slot was originally scheduled for the iPad 2, but they couldn't get the problems solved in time to meet the release deadline. If so, it does make it likely that another upgrade will be out within six months.

Mike4AU

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I do not currently own an iPad and was planning on buying an iPad 2. That said, as more info comes out on version 2, if reliable, I am becoming less inclined to buy one. So far, I am less than impressed with V2. We shall see.

Most reactions