What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple ID issues

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure it's that silly. It's been said before that the only silly question is the one that wasn't asked.

In short, you only want one, because your apps are keyed to an AppleID. That said, you could have multiple IDs, but it's going to make life ultra complicated. The iPad is designed as a single user machine, unlike a Windows PC. There is no facility for multiple user accounts, so my advice would be to stick to one ID and save yourself some headaches.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

jannorth

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree! I ended up with 2 id's and although 90% of my apps are on my current id there are a handful that are on the old id and don't update! How can I find out which ones they are?

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
jannorth said:
I agree! I ended up with 2 id's and although 90% of my apps are on my current id there are a handful that are on the old id and don't update! How can I find out which ones they are?

I would assume that you switch to your other AppleID and attempt to update the apps that otherwise refuse to. I have never had more than one ID so I'm half guessing.

An alternative would be to fire up iTunes on your PC and log in using your old ID. The apps that were purchased using that ID should show up in the apps tab of your iPad under iTunes. Not sure what kind of mess it will make of your iPad if it attempts to sync. Might be better to disable syncing before you plug it in. Do this under Preferences.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I want to say three is the limit, but I can't remember where I read that (and I might've misremembered). Some people want diff IDs because they use diff countries' app stores.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
I want to say three is the limit, but I can't remember where I read that (and I might've misremembered). Some people want diff IDs because they use diff countries' app stores.

Thanks for that info, Kay. That reason had totally slipped my mind. I'd read it here too.

mrcupu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i have more than 6 ids in my ipads and only use 2 of em actively because i use different countries for some of the apps because different countries have different apps and policy for local apps and it works flawlessly and easy to manage because some of my accts have same passwords so easy to manage during updates :thumbs:

OP
D

David Neff

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks for all the great answers ... right now I do not require multiple apple IDs even though I might in the future so they helpful... I had a guy do a restore and update on my Ipad but he could not get hold of me to get my particulars so he used his apple ID. to do it... I now want to delete his and install one for myself. please tell me how do I do this please.?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The easiest thing to do would be to go to Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Contents and Settings.

This will return your iPad to out-of-the-box condition.

When the iPad restarts it will take you through a brief setup that will include entering your Apple ID.

The alternative is to go through all your settings, app settings, and iStore apps (iTunes, iBooks, App Store, etc.) and sign out, then back in using your own Apple ID. Tedious, and it may take a while for you to catch all the places. Think there are almost a lot places to sign in with your Apple iD or iCloud ID (usually the same), each of them independent of the other.

Here are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

• Settings > iCloud
  • Settings > FaceTime
  • Settings > Messages
  • iTunes Store (bottom of first tab)
  • App Store (bottom of first tab)
  • iBooks Store (in iBooks app, bottom of first tab)
  • iTunes U (Catalog, bottom of first tab)
  • Settings > iTunes & Apps Stores
  • Podcasts Store (bottom of first tab)

I've probably missed a couple.

Most reactions