What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple I-Pad Fault

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
At last i have the Internet on my I-Pad, Thank you very much for your help Much Appreciated.

Glad that your problem was resolved, but as already asked, please explain which of the suggestion(s) above worked for you - others reading this thread w/ a similar problem may be helped.

And what I was asking above was the model of your iPad (e.g. iPad Air, iPad 3, or whatever) and also which iOS was installed (current version was 8.1.2) - Dave :)

OP
M

Mr M Degville

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Please provide some additional information: 1) What iPad model do you own; 2) What iOS is installed; and 3) Do you use a router for your Wi-Fi network? From your previous responses, your iPad does not seem to be connected to the internet like your other devices.

I would suggest that your 'Reset' the iPad (i.e. hold the ON-OFF & HOME buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears, release both and wait for a reboot - your apps, data, settings are all preserved). Also, power recycle your modem/router (may be one or two units), i.e. turn both off (or pull the power plugs), wait awhile, first re-power the modem, then the router (or just one if both in the same unit). Make sure that Wi-Fi is activated on the iPad in Settings, then try to browse the web w/ Safari (or any other browser) - if you are able to get onto the internet, then check you mail. Let us know if any of these suggestions helps. Dave :)

OP
M

Mr M Degville

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Glad that your problem was resolved, but as already asked, please explain which of the suggestion(s) above worked for you - others reading this thread w/ a similar problem may be helped.

And what I was asking above was the model of your iPad (e.g. iPad Air, iPad 3, or whatever) and also which iOS was installed (current version was 8.1.2) - Dave :)

OP
M

Mr M Degville

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I did the reset as you said, Torned off the Router, for a few minutes, whilst I held the off button then turned on Wi-fi, and connected to Internet.problem solved

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
My iI-Pad is Apple 10w USB Power, iOS is GOOGLE, Yes i use a router WI-FI, But as i said before im not getting E-Mails on my I-Pad, but are getting them on my Apple phone which are both connected to the same Router, Does this help?

I'm glad your problem is resolved. Here is some additional information that may help in the future.

First, why I targeted the router.

Safari didn't work, as well as Mail. That's an indication that the problem is more general than your email service. And when other devices are still working, the usual cause is the router and/or your iPad's connection to the router.

It is perfectly possible, and even common, for a router to stop working with one device while still working with others, even if that device is exactly the same OS and model. Router's are complex devices managing some very complex protocols. Like computers they occasionally do inexplicable things for no apparent reason at all.

You seemed confused about what your iPad's model and iOS version where. I hope the following will clear up the misunderstanding and make it easier to find the information the next time you need it.

A 10w (10 watts) power supply doesn't help that much. The first thee iPad models used the same (or close enough) 10w power supply. The iPad 4 and iPad Air use a 12w power supply. The iPad Mini's use smaller power supplies, 5w I think. I'm not sure what the new iPad Air 2 uses, but I suspect it's 12w.

Your iOS version has nothing to do with Google. There sere some Google services that came native in older versions (Maps, YouTube), and Safari supports Google Search as the default option in all versions; but Google is a separate company. They don't create iOS, or even have (direct) influence over it.

To find your iOS version number go to the Settings icon > About. It's about half way down the list and will have the main version number in a format something like x.x.x (xxxxx). The part in parenthesis isn't important.

You'll also see a model number here, but it's not very useful. Apple assigns two model numbers, and this one is more or less internal to the company; which makes it kind of hard to look up. You can find the more useful model number on your device's box, on the back of the iPad (in hard to read small print) or in Settings > General > Legal > Regulatory. It's at the very top and starts with an 'A'. For instance my iPad's model is A1475.

Based on that you can look up your model's name in this Wikipedia article, along with a lot of other information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPad

OP
M

Mr M Degville

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm glad your problem is resolved. Here is some additional information that may help in the future.

First, why I targeted the router.

Safari didn't work, as well as Mail. That's an indication that the problem is more general than your email service. And when other devices are still working, the usual cause is the router and/or your iPad's connection to the router.

It is perfectly possible, and even common, for a router to stop working with one device while still working with others, even if that device is exactly the same OS and model. Router's are complex devices managing some very complex protocols. Like computers they occasionally do inexplicable things for no apparent reason at all.

You seemed confused about what your iPad's model and iOS version where. I hope the following will clear up the misunderstanding and make it easier to find the information the next time you need it.

A 10w (10 watts) power supply doesn't help that much. The first thee iPad models used the same (or close enough) 10w power supply. The iPad 4 and iPad Air use a 12w power supply. The iPad Mini's use smaller power supplies, 5w I think. I'm not sure what the new iPad Air 2 uses, but I suspect it's 12w.

Your iOS version has nothing to do with Google. There sere some Google services that came native in older versions (Maps, YouTube), and Safari supports Google Search as the default option in all versions; but Google is a separate company. They don't create iOS, or even have (direct) influence over it.

To find your iOS version number go to the Settings icon > About. It's about half way down the list and will have the main version number in a format something like x.x.x (xxxxx). The part in parenthesis isn't important.

You'll also see a model number here, but it's not very useful. Apple assigns two model numbers, and this one is more or less internal to the company; which makes it kind of hard to look up. You can find the more useful model number on your device's box, on the back of the iPad (in hard to read small print) or in Settings > General > Legal > Regulatory. It's at the very top and starts with an 'A'. For instance my iPad's model is A1475.

Based on that you can look up your model's name in this Wikipedia article, along with a lot of other information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPad

OP
M

Mr M Degville

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for the information, i will print it for future reverence.

OP
M

Mr M Degville

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Glad all was helpful - I hope that my advice back in post #7 was useful, also - hope to see you posting in the future. Dave :)
It's gone again it only lasted a day, I did what you said last time but to no avail?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It's gone again it only lasted a day, I did what you said last time but to no avail?

Sorry to here your problem returned - all of the advice given previously still applies - please make sure that you perform the 'Reset' properly, i.e. hold BOTH the ON-OFF & HOME buttons until the Apple logo appears, then release both and let the iPad reboot.

Also, you have still not told us which iPad model your own or which iOS is installed (the latter is located in Settings -> General -> About - look half way down the right column - believe that one of the other posters already mentioned this location). As to the model, look on the back of the iPad for the model #, then go HERE and match the device. Good luck - Dave :)

OP
M

Mr M Degville

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry to here your problem returned - all of the advice given previously still applies - please make sure that you perform the 'Reset' properly, i.e. hold BOTH the ON-OFF & HOME buttons until the Apple logo appears, then release both and let the iPad reboot.

Also, you have still not told us which iPad model your own or which iOS is installed (the latter is located in Settings -> General -> About - look half way down the right column - believe that one of the other posters already mentioned this location). As to the model, look on the back of the iPad for the model #, then go HERE and match the device. Good luck - Dave :)

OP
M

Mr M Degville

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My Apple I-Pad model is A1430 This number appears half way down as you suggested for iOS 8.1.2.(12B440)I Have tried again to what you suggest but to know avail, also my Apple phone is now not receiving E-Mails, but i can browse on Safari.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
My Apple I-Pad model is A1430 This number appears half way down as you suggested for iOS 8.1.2.(12B440)I Have tried again to what you suggest but to know avail, also my Apple phone is now not receiving E-Mails, but i can browse on Safari.

Well, most of us know iPads by their name rather than specific model numbers, so you have the one shown below. Since you are not receiving emails on two iDevices (not sure if you can get onto the internet, e.g. Safari), the problem may be in your network setup; also, do your other devices, such as a desktop computer and/or laptop using your network? If so, are these connected cabled (i.e. ethernet) or my Wi-Fi?

In addition, please give us more details on your computer & network setup: 1) ISP (Internet Service Provider) and type (cable, DSL, Satellite, etc.); 2) Does you ISP supply your modem (and possibly your router - may be in one unit); 3) What is the brand/model of your router and its age; 4) When your iDevices cannot receive mail, how far in your house are you located and have you tried next to the router; and 5) Do you use more that one email provider, and if so do any of the others work?

I'm simply trying to decide where your problem is located and if Wi-Fi is not working on multiple devices, then the equipment responsible for your wireless network may be the issue. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2015-01-06 at 11.26.04 AM.png

OP
M

Mr M Degville

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, most of us know iPads by their name rather than specific model numbers, so you have the one shown below. Since you are not receiving emails on two iDevices (not sure if you can get onto the internet, e.g. Safari), the problem may be in your network setup; also, do your other devices, such as a desktop computer and/or laptop using your network? If so, are these connected cabled (i.e. ethernet) or my Wi-Fi?

In addition, please give us more details on your computer & network setup: 1) ISP (Internet Service Provider) and type (cable, DSL, Satellite, etc.); 2) Does you ISP supply your modem (and possibly your router - may be in one unit); 3) What is the brand/model of your router and its age; 4) When your iDevices cannot receive mail, how far in your house are you located and have you tried next to the router; and 5) Do you use more that one email provider, and if so do any of the others work?

I'm simply trying to decide where your problem is located and if Wi-Fi is not working on multiple devices, then the equipment responsible for your wireless network may be the issue. Dave :)
View attachment 62187

Most reactions

Latest posts