What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple hurting Adobe?

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If Apple was 100 or even 70% of the Tablet Market and were the only real makers then Adobe could possibly have grounds. I don't think anti-trust the issue. It could more likley be a spat about contractual or implicitate agreements regarding the use of Adobe CS tools creating iPhoneOS Apps. It's not like they have banned everything Adobe, I count 4 apps.

It would be nice to see the inter-office communication on how (if at all) the two companies are working things out. Clearly if lidigation is being considered the process isn't going in a direction Adobe likes. (I wouldn't either if one of my big features of an up coming product was killed before it even launched

Is this gracious of Apple? Hardly, they are playing hard ball the way Microsoft used to does with their Xbox. Now if Apple bans other kinds of Ad placement and demands that developers use iAds or nothing... then that will have more the likely crossed a line. Not that I see Apple doing that, it would hurt the "free" app line to much.

Last edited:
OP
Seadog

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The only way I could see for Adobe to sue, would be to say that Apple is trying to restrict trade. Since Apple has the smart phone top dog spot, it can be a lot like the lawsuites against MS for their IE default. Howeve, it will be a tough sell.

What really bothers me is the way that everything that comes out in computers is immediately involve in a legal hassle due to the antiquated patent system. That there are companies that have more lawyers than technicians, is wrong. What it means is that the small group has no chance to make a killer invention. Apple would never happen today because fifteen lawyers would steal any profits or potential.

epoche

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Running Flash on my laptop is not that big of a deal since 80% of the time when I use my laptop it is plugged into the AC outlet. I dont even realize any issues with the battery drain using Flash. NOW, if Flash is going to zap 50% of my battery life on my iPad then that will be an issue and im glad Apple is not going to allow this. I use my iPad 99.9% on battery and defiantly do not want to worry about continually charging it because Flash killed my battery. It would be great if web sites were designed to direct HTML5 to portable units and Flash to non-portable. But then again, make life simple get rid of Flash and make HTML the standard. I dont really see any difference between Flash vs HTML until i start expanding the viewing window and it's barley a difference. I cant figure out why Adobe cant get Flash to use less draw.. I would think they would be working their tail end off to make this happen... Can anyone explain why Flash kills the battery???:confused:

Easy. When I run Flash on 15" MBP for any length of time both fans start running at 5,000 rpm and above. That tells me mucho heat is being developed.

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I still don't see flash going away any time soon. They are continuing to advance the stability and capabilities of flash. It's only an issue on mobile devices. A lot of companies will have separate mobile sites, so the rich flash content can stay on the full site. Our company has a very successful web product that is an online flash application. It is very stable and our customers are very happy with it. We will not be converting it to html5. As it is now, it can't be completely replicated in html5. We are looking into a scaled back mobile version, but that's as far as we will be going with it.

The beauty of flash is that it is platform independent - which is part of apple's issue. They want apps to be exclusively developed for them. With flash, you can make one app and deploy it for windows mobile, iPhone, android, palm, etc. That is not in Apple's best interest.

Most reactions

Latest posts