What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple Focuses on Apps That Support the New iPad’s Retina Display

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
[FONT=&amp]
New_iPad_apps.JPG

9to5 Mac reports today that Apple has added a new section to iTunes that highlights some of the best apps to show off your new iPad, with an emphasis on those that have been updated in order to best take advantage of the new iPad’s gorgeous Retina display. Among those apps featured are Tweetbot, Skitch, Infinity Blade II and Sky Gamblers. Many other apps have been updated to accommodate or highlight the new iPad’s Retina display, so owners of previous iPad versions should be prepared to update a whole host of apps when they next enter the App Store on their iPad. This includes the likes of Twitter, which has just updated its iPad app with high-res, Retina-display friendly graphics. Also Amazon has just updated its Kindle app for iPad with various fixes, tweaks and improvements, including Retina display support as well as a new library design, to enable the user to view your content with a new updated look, as well as a Cloud view.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Source: [/FONT]Apple highlights Retina-ready apps for new iPad | 9to5Mac | Apple Intelligence

Brendan75

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, lots of apps need serious help, though, especially wallpaper apps which won't display full screen anymore since there aren't enough pixels to maintain decent resolution.

maleaco

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wonder when or if apple uses oLED screen's....If you haven't heard about them, youtube Organic or oLED screen's. They can flex, they're transparent, they can absorb solar energy, they can be hit with hammers and not be damaged in any way shapre or form.... It would be neat to see apple use that technology combined with this tech

Jason85

iPF Noob
Reaction score
maleaco said:
I wonder when or if apple uses oLED screen's....If you haven't heard about them, youtube Organic or oLED screen's. They can flex, they're transparent, they can absorb solar energy, they can be hit with hammers and not be damaged in any way shapre or form.... It would be neat to see apple use that technology combined with this tech

I use a Samsung droid charge with the amoled screen technology. I am not impressed with oled from Samsung for their phones as it imparts an overly warm and unnatural coloration to images. Ironic since samsung is one of the manufacturers of apples retina display screens.

kierandill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How does an app thread turn into a display hardware discussion?

Given the first page of "Great apps for the new iPad" has 10 out of 12 apps that run on the iPhone, I fail to see how they are going to highlight my new iPad in any particular way.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Please keep the subject on track. This thread is about apps supporting the new iPad and not about other screen technology.

Thank you

Layth

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The downfall of this, is now all the updated apps take much more room. Garage Band now is over 1GB and all the iWork apps are 400+ MB. I'm glad I have a 32 GB iPad as opposed to 16 GB cause if I did I would be out of room. I knew apps would take more room to take advantage of the new display, but I didn't expect the file sizes to increase so much.

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
These updates take up substantial (and valuable) disk space. I read that the average app is doubling in size for retina support. I believe these updates should only appear on retina capable ipads as they are not required by ipad1 or ipad2 units and will be unnecessarily chewing up valuable disk space.

I expect over the course of the upcoming months owners of 16gb ipad1 and ipad2's are going to start noticing....and rightfully complaining about surrendering storage space for updates that serve them no purpose.

dessipation

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That is great news. I was wondering how I am going to use such high resolution display. I tried out the programs that are updated for the 3rd generation iPad and they look so much better. I love the way the fonts look like they are printed out, which seems to make it easier to read ebooks. I like that they broadened the minimum lighting control range. I can look at the screen in the dark without squinting my eyes. I even tried watching the same movie trailers from iTunes using both iPad 2 and the 3rd gen iPad and they actually look better on the 3rd gen iPad.

Fairwayman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Real racing hd 2 hooked up to 46 in Samsung via hdmi cable or air play is stunning.

Most reactions

Latest posts