What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple Default Apps.

MrLuke

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've tried searching ipf but couldn't find anything. So here's my question;
Is there any way to hide any of the default apps like gamecenter, newsstand, etc.?
Thanks in advance.

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Apparently yes. I haven't done it, but the rumor is if you create a folder and move Newsstand into it immediately (within seconds) it will move into the folder. However, if you ever click on it, out it comes again.

newt0nsbump

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a folder called R W where I have al my reading and writing apps. That's where I'm trying to put it . . . but it won't go!

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Apparently it has to be a newly created folder - it won't move to an existing one. I think you have to put it in before your iPad realizes what you're doing...

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Newsstand is a folder. Nested folders are not supported. There is a big in iOS that allows you to trick it into creating nested folders until you activate something in that folder, then your device will either crash or the nesting will be undone.

I would NOT recommend using this bug to try to hide Newsstand if you care about things like backups working properly. Doing something the file system does not support is asking for trouble...

Now I don't know if there would be issues or not, but the fact that this bug can crash the device makes me very nervous as a developer.

newt0nsbump

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I took everything out of my R & W folder, recreated it and immediately put Newsstand in it, followed by everything else. Worked fine, but was not aware that using the app later might cause a crash. Since I never planned to use Newsstand in any case, this should not be a problem. Just in case, however, how do recover from a system crash? Thanks!

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Since you are essentially corrupting the file system, be prepared to do a full restore from backup to a backup from BEFORE you corrupted your device. It's possible nothing else will actually completely restore your device.

newt0nsbump

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks! Do I correctly assume that the backup that was taken when I installed IOS5 will suffice? And, since my "mod" corrupted the file system, won't any backup taken subsequently either by me or by iTunes in another update or sync, be itself corrupted?

Most reactions

Latest posts