What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple Care?

cu chulainn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Going to be buying my first ipad 3/11, any thoughts on buying the Apple Care Protection Plan vs. not buying it?

SheerLuckHolmes

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The way I understand it, you can buy the extended Apple Care anytime in the first year. My 2 cents adjusted to $2.00 for inflation, is to wait until the 12th month. If you end up keeping the iPad2, buy it. If you like the iPad3 (and it is out by then) you will not have lost the Apple Care purchase.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK - personal thoughts only. The iPad seems ultra-reliable so, from that perspective, there's little to worry about.

In terms of queries over technical issues - you have the thousands of iPad Forum members spread all over the world who are willing - perhaps too willing! - to help you with any technical problems that you might have.

I've had my iPad for about 3 months now and not experienced a single problem so, if I had to 'live my life again' I'd not purchase Apple Care. I'm not saying it's not a great service (Forum members may choose to disagree or agree, of course) but the iPad is so reliable and trouble free for most people that it's simply not worth it.....

So, I hope you don't have any problems but, if you do, come to the iPad Forum for help!!

Tim
Scotland

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I was offered Apple Care when I bought mine May '10. Some of my Mac friends said how great it was to have tech help, etc plus it qas a brandy new device and noone knew how it would go. Mine and most others have been super reliable so when I bought the second Ipad in August for my husband I didn't buy it. I doubt I would again. I doubt I would need tech help and for repair, replacement we have a one year warranty. I would certainly wait until the year was up. I was unaware at the time that I had that option.

Ken_Photo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Look at the warranties from squaretrade.com instead. Highly recommended.

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
yeah, i'm in a similar boat.

you'll get your first year's cover (in the UK anyway) as per standard anyway, but it's good to learn you can extend that extend that with apple care within this period.

i'm going to wait and see how it works out - if it's anything like my 1st gen Touch, which i use for around 8 hours per day every day still, which has never had a single issue with since the day i bought it, i'm probably not going to bother with extended warranties.

iPadOhana

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The way I understand it, you can buy the extended Apple Care anytime in the first year. My 2 cents adjusted to $2.00 for inflation, is to wait until the 12th month. If you end up keeping the iPad2, buy it. If you like the iPad3 (and it is out by then) you will not have lost the Apple Care purchase.

That's what I'm going to do. Use the one year factory and then do the Apple Care if I have the feeling I need it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

treker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Free Extra Year Warranty with Credit Card Purchase

If interested in just an extra year warranty without the support that applecare provides, many credit cards extend the factory warranty by another year. I intend to purchase my ipad2 with AMERICAN EXPRESS card and get that free year extension.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
treker said:
If interested in just an extra year warranty without the support that applecare provides, many credit cards extend the factory warranty by another year. I intend to purchase my ipad2 with AMERICAN EXPRESS card and get that free year extension.

You also have to look at the country. In Australia, Amex offers up to three different kinds of coverage:

- Buyer's advantage: doubles the manufacturer's warranty by up to twelve months on most electronics and appliances;
- Purchase protection: provides a replacement or refund against theft or accidents for three months; and
- Refund protection: ensures a refund for three months if the merchant won't.

However, not all cards offer the same coverage, so it's always worth checking the small print rather than assuming.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts