What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple BlueTooth keyboard, nice

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
That origami looks good. Hmmm, might get me one of those!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Reaction score
I thought about the zagget thing but didn't want to be saddle with both
all the time, there are times when I'm reading a book or browsing the
internet that I won't need the keyboard and then I'm free to just hold
the iPad itself, so for me that's the path I chose, while the z thingy looks
to be better overall protection, I will stick to the handier carry/use type of style.
ps, sitting in bed at the hotel now, iPad propped up on a pillow and the
keyboard on my lap, easier to balance both things, and when finished,
I can just set the keyboard aside and go back to reading my book :)
G2

Not trying to change your mind, but the Zagg mate is much more than a keyboard. When using the keyboard you put it up as very well balanced stand but when using the iPad alone you can lay it down on the hinge for a very nice low profile ( about 15-20deg slope) when using in bed, watching tv etc., it's very well balanced without worrying about it sliding around on the pillow. I use mine mostly as a stand but as a keyboard when I want to use the external keyboard.
It looks clunky and awkward in photos but it is a good job of minimalistic engineering. I have the grace of an upside down turtle and find it works well for me. Again not trying to change your mind.

Support Our Troops!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from my iPad

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I thought the Origami Workstation acted as a case for the Apple keyboard and a stand for the iPad. Or are you looking for a case for both together?

Hi Catfiend - thanks for reminding me of the product above - looks like a great solution esp. w/ the option to fold that allows one to put the iPad upright.

Saw one at Best Buy today - not happy w/ the possibility of the keyboard sliding out one or the other end; plus, the velcro strips seem a little flimsy (many complaints about them on the Apple Store) - decided against a purchase.

I really just want the iPad protected back & front, and the keyboard in some protective container - they don't have to be integrated; plan to just put all in an old laptop computer sleeve to carry on the road. So, for the keyboard, I ordered the item below off Amazon (JAVAOdege product); trim & slim; surface design not really my preference but colorful and will complement my 'silver' front & back coverings for the iPad. Also, have on order for an iPad stand, so should be ready to travel w/ this device! :)

51Md7yGOSOL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

OP
G

Gary W. Graley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Got the Origami Workstation this morning, a friend lives near a Bestbuy that had one
and I had him pick it up for me last night.

I like it a lot, for me it's about perfect as it's similar in construction as the apple cover
I have for the iPad, which is very trim, I keep the microfiber cloth layed over the screen
and use a very large rubber band to keep the binder closed. Both items still fit with
the satchel as well, the case for the keyboard adds a little bit on each end but
that's fine, it's just what I needed to help the keys from getting bumped while
being carried about.

AND a nice thing too is that I can leave the iPad inside the apple folder while resting
it against the back of the Origami stand, very cool indeed, thanks again for the tip for one of those!

As for how long the velcro will last, hard to say, if it wears out, I'll replace them with
snaps, but time will tell how well they hold up.

G2

OP
G

Gary W. Graley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Certainly are! My friend at work has his zagg system but is just about ready to
move that down and give it to his daughter and pick up an iPad 2 along with the
same setup I now have, for me it works about as best as I can imagine, keeping
the iPad as trim as possible while still providing some protection.

Also he likes the Power Support anti-glare protector I have on mine too, just works
and feels more like the regular iPad when you slide your fingers across, compared to
the more tacky feel of the zagg cover, plus this one has more anti-glare control,
at least that's how it looks when I compare the two.

G2

Kukulcan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.time-tours.com
Got me the apple wireless keyboard too and I am glad I did. Zaggmate was tempting but then I read quite some post about bad quality keyboard.

But even if the Zaggmate works fine, it cant beat the apple keyboard when it comes to typing and this way I dont need to spend another $99 (plus back protection) or more when the next iPad is here.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Received my iPad 2 last week and before purchasing an Apple keyboard I tried it with my Microsoft 6000 Bluetooth Travel Keyboard. Works like a charm. Some thoughts.

() The Msoft keyboard is designed for Windows systems, of course. So it lacks some of the dedicated Apple keys. However, volume controls (up/down/mute) work fine.

() The Microsoft keyboard is somewhat larger (14.4"x7" vs 11.25"x5.25) and weighs a bit more according to the specs. (This may be the result of the separate number pad on the Microsoft keyboard. I'm not sure if the keypad is counted as part of the weight.)

() The Microsoft keyboard is ergonomically "curved" to provide a more comfortable typing angle for the wrists. Does not feel "cramped" at all.

() The Microsoft keyboard is less "tilted" than the Apple. Angles upward at perhaps 7-10 degrees. Both keyboards require 2 AA batteries. I've found the Microsoft to use very little battery power. Don't think I've replaced them in over a year of use.

() Keyboard layout is similar (with the exception of the dedicated Apple keys) except that the Microsoft has separate backspace and delete keys. The keys on the Apple are "chiclet" style; the Microsoft has the more traditional curved tops with angled sides for the keys.

() Very important for some people, the Microsoft keyboard has a separate dedicated number pad. (Pairs as a separate bluetooth device.) If you need it, take it with you. Otherwise, leave it at home.

() Can't comment on the "feel" of the Apple keyboard, but the Microsoft is very good.

() The Microsoft Keyboard is less expensive ($44 vs $69) on Amazon.

All in all, it appears to be a matter of personal taste and requirements. Personally, I'll probably stick with the Microsoft keyboard and save some bucks, especially since I'm already used to the size and feel of the keyboard. For those who really need a dedicated number pad and/or feel the Apple keyboard is a bit cramped, the Microsoft 6000 is a good alternative.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I really just want the iPad protected back & front, and the keyboard in some protective container - they don't have to be integrated; plan to just put all in an old laptop computer sleeve to carry on the road. So, for the keyboard, I ordered the item below off Amazon (JAVAOdege product); trim & slim; surface design not really my preference but colorful and will complement my 'silver' front & back coverings for the iPad. Also, have on order for an iPad stand, so should be ready to travel w/ this device! :)

51Md7yGOSOL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Waterfield Designs in San Francisco has some dedicated keyboard cases for the Apple wireless keyboard.

SFBags - WaterField Designs - Keyboard Cases

A word about Waterfield Designs. I have no affiliation with the company but have purchased numerous products from them over the years. Their stuff is relatively expensive compared to others but imo their quality is worth the premium. Their stuff looks great and (more importantly) wears like iron. (I'm using one of their laptop "Cargo" bags that I've had for five years and it looks as good as the day I bought it despite have traveled perhaps half a million miles.)

In addition, their customer service is top notch and their bags are made in the USA.

No1zeppelinfan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got a Apple wireless keyboard, Very nice. Tried searching to see if there were any sites that had any "Tips and tricks" for it or shortcuts that e.g. holding ctrl and pressing backspace did or anything like that. I read somewhere on here there's a way of using a delete button but cannot find the reference to it now, anyone know?

Most reactions

Latest posts