What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple BlueTooth keyboard, nice

Catfiend

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Matt1226 said:
Call me crazy but I thought the idea of the iPad was to get away from the laptop and people keep using things to make it a detachable screen for a laptop.

For some people I'm sure the idea is to get away from the laptop but for others it's to have the best of both worlds. For many uses the keyboard on a laptop and its cursor movement options get in the way. I don't need, or want, those things when surfing or play most games and it's nice not to have them hanging around. There are times, however, when I want to communicate with others via the written word. At times like this the reliance on the on-screen keyboard gets in the way. An external keyboard that isn't part of the iPad itself will hopefully allow me to have my direct connection AND simple/efficient input at the same time. At least that's why I am awaiting my pre-ordered Zaggmate right now.

Matt1226

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had the keyboard/stand from apple for my first iPad but I only used it twice out of the six months I had it. I love the keyboard on the screen and I feel like I can type just as fast on it as I can on a regular computer if not faster. I find even my coworkers that had keyboards for their xooms Cindy use them either.

Catfiend

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Matt1226 said:
I had the keyboard/stand from apple for my first iPad but I only used it twice out of the six months I had it. I love the keyboard on the screen and I feel like I can type just as fast on it as I can on a regular computer if not faster. I find even my coworkers that had keyboards for their xooms Cindy use them either.

We probably write very differently :). When I write I tend to use a lot of contractions so waiting for the , to turn into an ' is a time sink. I tend to use a fair number of hyphens (many of which really should be M dashes) as well, but it's on the number keyboard. Ditto parentheses, brackets and slashes (both forward and backward). When I am actually writing a story or similar I also use " a lot - once again a time sink to wait for the . to change to a ". That doesn't even take into account the number of times I seem to hit the n when I wanted a space. On top of all of that I normally rest my fingers on the keys when I type which REALLY doesn't work with the onscreen keyboard. The onscreen keyboard also takes up a large chunk of screen real estate - not good when I'm writing as I want to be able to see as much of my text as I can. As a computer programmer I'm very used to where many of the none alphanumeric keys are on a keyboard so I tend to use them a lot. Having them buried one or two extra screen deep is bad.

For short messages the onscreen keyboard is fine but, for example, this reply would have probably taken less than one third as long using a standalone keyboard (in part because I'd have the autocorrect turned off so I'd get what I was typing instead of using it to make up for the sorts of errors that I tend to make with the onscreen keyboard.)

But that's just me.

Reaction score
@Catfiend

'you know, just tap on , then slide up and you have a near-instant '. Same goes for ", just tap on . and slide up.

For the rest of your argument, I mostly agree. I have no idea how often a space turned into n or m, somehow the two buttons seem twice th size of other buttons.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
@Catf
It's a sort of upward flick with the finger. Once you've got it it's easier than the hold and wait method.

Catfiend

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hasty said:
@Catf
It's a sort of upward flick with the finger. Once you've got it it's easier than the hold and wait method.

Now that's cool! Thanks be to both you and dontunderstandmyipad for that helpful hint.

OP
G

Gary W. Graley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Matt, that's amazing and if I could type as you do, for sure I'd not need
to have the burden of carrying an additional keyboard!
And I'd also be wondering why everyone else is so taken with them too,
then it wouldn't make sense to me either!

And thanks guys/gals for those tips, I'll have to check that out.
off to work, oops 9 minutes late and a half hour drive to go, but
that's ok, worked from home for an hour anyways too.
G2

MsTapp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I ordered the apple keyboard when I ordered the iPad, then later pre-ordered the Zagg that I remembered seeing on Oprah. I'm glad I got the apple keyboard because my Zagg hasn't shipped yet. I like typing on a keyboard.

OP
G

Gary W. Graley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@ Gary
Take one of the batteries out?

Ending up having to do just that, both actually, as there was music
coming from my satchel, some how the RIGHT combination of keys
prompted music from the iPad :confused: stranger things of course could have
happened but after hearing that, I figured I'd better pop those puppies outta there ;)

Need a slim protective case, will have to make something up sometime,
G2

bettafan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have both - the Apple wireless keyboard and the Zaggmate. I bought the Apple wireless keyboard first while I waiting for the iPad2 to come out. I used it with my iMac instead of the wired keyboard. When I got my iPad 2 (end of March), I pair the keyboard with my iPad, but soon found that it took up too much room if I was trying to use it in my lap. Also with the Smart Cover (bought that too), I could not set my iPad in portrait mode. I saw an ad on the internet and then reviews on Cnet, macWorld, etc. about the Zaggmate. The Zaggmate 2 was taking orders. I went to see a Zaggmate at Best Buy even though they only had one for iPad 1. I like it. Great protection for my iPad with the aluminum case. Only weights a few oz and works like a charm. So, as soon as the Zaggmate for iPad 2 came off the preorder status, I ran to Best Buy and got one. Really like it. Light, easy to use, protective case for my iPad 2. I can take my iPad out of the Zaggmate at any time and use it without the keyboard. I personally did not want to have to take two items around with me and buy a case for them, so the Zaggmate works for me. Glad we have the freedom to make our own decisions. Thanks for the pictures. I did not send any as there are three videos on the Zagg.com website. :D

milkmilklemonade

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just bought the Zagg keyboard as well and had to chime in!

I was afraid the keys would be too small and would hinder typing, but it's surprisingly easier to adjust to than I imagined, and my typing speed is close to what it is on the desktop. I really like that there's nothing holding it down into the stand other than an angled piece of plastic, so when I'm done typing I'm able to simply grab the iPad 2 and not be confined to the keyboard...until I'm ready to type my next message, then on the stand it goes! It's quick, it's smooth, and it completely changes the way I'm able to use the iPad 2.

Also it seems very secure in the case and it doesn't add much bulk to the device. I really think this is THE keyboard to get for the iPad 2, and I really can't imagine being without it now...

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
As a new iPad2 owner who purchased accessories (smart cover, Apple keyboard, & SD adapter for my camera cards) at the same time as the 'delayed' iPad order, I am now wondering about other covers (i.e. back), cases (i.e. keyboard), etc.

Thanks for all of the comments concerning alternate keyboards, which my wife & I plan to use, esp. in answering long e-mails, so we will likely be in a dual mode using the iPad depending on our needs at the time.

Plus, I have a number of travel case options (laptops, sleeves, etc.) that would easily accommodate the iPad & its keyboard, so not a big concern. The issue for me is why Apple did not send some kind of cover for their keyboard? They just seem to not go that one step further that would impress a customer; instead, one needs to spend extra on silly little accessories that are often overpriced!

SO, seems like no one has yet found a case for the Apple keyboard? I'm an amateur woodworker but this would require some 'thin' non-wood materials and a little thinking - ;)

Thanks for any additional comments - :)

Catfiend

iPF Noob
Reaction score
giradman said:
SO, seems like no one has yet found a case for the Apple keyboard? I'm an amateur woodworker but this would require some 'thin' non-wood materials and a little thinking - ;)

Thanks for any additional comments - :)

I thought the Origami Workstation acted as a case for the Apple keyboard and a stand for the iPad. Or are you looking for a case for both together?

OP
G

Gary W. Graley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Catfiend ! I'll order one of those right away, looks like just the ticket,
a friend has one of the zagg keyboard things but I wasn't too taken by how
it felt to type on it, compared to the Apple keyboard...

G2

Most reactions

Latest posts