What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple blossoms in China!

Shi Jin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was at the Apple store in Beijing on Friday for the iPad China launch.

And what a classy launch it was... Good numbers of demos were available, there were many well-trained and eager staff to lend a helping hand, and there was plenty of stock (so everyone who wanted one, left happily clutching their prize).

No doubt, the iPad will change the game for the Apple brand in China.

Oh yes... and I spoke with Ms Wang, among others, who loves it!

Best regards from Beijing

Shi Jin

BTW If you would like to read my full report from the visit (also lots more photos), please click on ChineseCurrents.com

Attachments

• www.ChineseCurrents.com_0201.jpg
    www.ChineseCurrents.com_0201.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 223
  • www.ChineseCurrents.com_0200.jpg
    www.ChineseCurrents.com_0200.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 229
  • www.ChineseCurrents.com_0202.jpg
    www.ChineseCurrents.com_0202.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 258
Last edited:
OP
S

Shi Jin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi j0yful

I went there to see what all the fuss was about. And to get enough material to enable me to write a story about the event (I write about brands in China).

I had never actually thought about buying one... until, that is, I talked to Chong, one of the Apple helpers there.

What he told me allayed my concerns about:

1) lack of 3G (the China iPads are not enabled, but there's a device that you can buy that "talks" to the iPad);

2) not being able to easily transfer photos from my camera (Chong told me that Apple sells a compatible card-reading device);

and 3) the surfing experience (which is brilliant I now realise).

That resolved, I was won over. Trouble was, I didn't have a card or enough money with me...

So... I'll be going back tomorrow!

Watch this space.

Best regards from Beijing.

Shi Jin

BTW: my iPad launch in China story is at http://www.chinesecurrents.com/

Last edited:

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
1. ipad with 3g is available already, though not in China. you can just wait for that model to be release. rather than buying a device.
2. yes it can transfer pics from your camera to ipad, using the camera connector kit

Macgirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Funny thing is, I use nothing but my iPad for everything I do.

OP
S

Shi Jin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My first Apple computer!

Well, it took me a while.

But I finally got there. I bought the 64GB in Beijing a few days ago.

I'm delighted, but my 6 year-old daughter isn't.

She can't play games or see videos on her favourite web site... barbie.com, because (so we are told) Apple doesn't allow flash to run on its devices.

She asked me why.

Please can anyone help me explain?

Thanks!

Shi Jin

Sonny Burnett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is great that the Chinese people can finally enjoy the fruit of their labor and purchase the product that they work so hard to produce for the rest of the world. I was surprised that the iPad wasn't launched in China as part of the first international launch.

kierandill

iPF Noob
Reaction score

She can't play games or see videos on her favourite web site... barbie.com, because (so we are told) Apple doesn't allow flash to run on its devices.

She asked me why.

Thanks!

Shi Jin

There may not be "an app for that", but there is a thread for it...

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/10585-flash-debate.html

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score

She asked me why.

Thanks!

Shi Jin

simple shi jin, Flash doesnt work on ipad. there are a lot of free games on app store where your daughter can enjoy it.

OP
S

Shi Jin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks!

I spent some time going back through the previous "Flash debate" threads. Goodness me, what a can of worms.

As far as my 6 year-old is concerned (whose favourite website is Barbie.com), the issue of battery drain is a tricky one to explain.

The security threat I read about, though, is a far more persuasive reason why it doesn't work... Sort of Flash as the Big Bad Wolf masquerading as the adorable grandmother... so best to keep the door bolted.

I can't help thinking though that I - as a responsible parent - should be allowed to decide whether to open the door or not.

Best regards from Beijing

Shi Jin

www.ChineseCurrents.com

Most reactions

Latest posts