What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple Announces 128GB Retina Display iPad

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
4th_gen_iPad.JPG

Well Apple certainly (almost) sneaked this one under the radar, surprising us by announcing a new 128GB version of the iPad! They almost managed to keep it a secret as well, although 9to5 Mac got wind yesterday about the possibility, as we reported on yesterday. Apple says that the new 128GB iPad has a Retina display, and comes in Wi-Fi-only and Wi-Fi + Cellular versions, and has twice the storage capacity of the previous top-capacity iPad, which came in at 64GB.

“With more than 120 million iPads sold, it’s clear that customers around the world love their iPads, and every day they are finding more great reasons to work, learn and play on their iPads rather than their old PCs,” said Philip Schiller, Apple’s senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing. “With twice the storage capacity and an unparalleled selection of over 300,000 native iPad apps, enterprises, educators and artists have even more reasons to use iPad for all their business and personal needs.”

The new 128GB iPad is available from Tuesday, February 5, in black and white versions, for an SRP of $799 for the Wi-Fi-only version, and $929 for the iPad with Wi-Fi + Cellular version.

[FONT=&amp]Source: [/FONT]Apple

Munky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
They should just do away with 16gb for everything and make 32gb the lowest capacity.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Munky said:
They should just do away with 16gb for everything and make 32gb the lowest capacity.

I've heard that before but there are plenty of folks that do use and make out fine with the 16gb model. It's a good price point for entry level buyers and not everyone has to store movies and 5,000 songs on their device. A hundred bucks is a hundred bucks and that savings means a lot to some. No reason to nuke it, IMO.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've heard that before but there are plenty of folks that do use and make out fine with the 16gb model. It's a good price point for entry level buyers and not everyone has to store movies and 5,000 songs on their device. A hundred bucks is a hundred bucks and that savings means a lot to some. No reason to nuke it, IMO.

I think they would be wise to make 32GB option the lowest one, but reduce the price of it to what the 16GB costs now. Apple is getting too many sku's IMO. I worry about quality control. And we all know that as time goes on, the devices cost less to make. Now with the 128GB model, they really should go to 32, 64, and 128GB. I guess they are so worried about keeping increasing "growth" that reason no longer is a factor. And let's see, within a 12-month span, we have had ipad 3, ipad 4, ipad mini, and now a 128GB version of iPad 4, all of these in white, black, wifi, and cellular. SJ would not have allowed this. I'm concerned that with all of this "get product out the door" that they may be losing focus on future development. I'm sure they have lots and lots of talent that aren't involved in iterating products, though, but...one wonders.....as the real attention needs to be with the minds at the top.....

I'm going to wait on the next gen iPad big and the mini before I consider another iPad. Will the mini be a second tier device (speaking of internals here)? Will it have room inside for 128GB storage? Will it get a retina display? Will the next gen iPad big be lighter with longer battery life, similar to the iPad 2? Will it have a design similar to the mini (I think it feel better in the hands without those sharp edges). I need to know the answers to these questions before I spend any more.

BTW, I don't store any movies and music on my iPads....and I still want the 128 GB option!

Finnedog

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have always believed in buying as much storage as you can afford, but if you are just surfing, doing email and reading books 16gb is a good choice. Myself I think a 128gb that would give me an extra 64 gb for movies and tv shows would be great!!

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
s2mikey said:

I agree, let everyone have an opportunity to get an iPad, especially if it is profitable for Apple.

Sent from my WiFi Black 64GB iPad with Retina Display in NYC using iPF

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Finnedog said:
I have always believed in buying as much storage as you can afford, but if you are just surfing, doing email and reading books 16gb is a good choice. Myself I think a 128gb that would give me an extra 64 gb for movies and tv shows would be great!!

Me too and I had to learn it the hard way with my 2004 Dell lol!! If the 128GB was available in November I would have bought it but no reason for me to get it now that I have the 64GB

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've wanted 128GB for a while now (I've mentioned here several times) but... no. For what they're asking, I'll keep my iPad 3 and add a MacBook Air and grab whichever I need (power/storage or portability) as I head out the door. That combo should tide me over until prices come down for the 128GB version.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
epb said:
I've wanted 128GB for a while now (I've mentioned here several times) but... no. For what they're asking, I'll keep my iPad 3 and add a MacBook Air and grab whichever I need (power/storage or portability) as I head out the door. That combo should tide me over until prices come down for the 128GB version.

Couldn't you just get the wifi version for 799.00? I have the wifi 64GB for 699.00. I tether data with my iPhone when I need to.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
tlbaker said:
Couldn't you just get the wifi version for 799.00? I have the wifi 64GB for 699.00. I tether data with my iPhone when I need to.

The major problem there is losing GPS. It is unbelievable how handy it is. Even with a Garmin in my truck, I still like the iPad GPS.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
I think they would be wise to make 32GB option the lowest one, but reduce the price of it to what the 16GB costs now. Apple is getting too many sku's IMO. I worry about quality control. And we all know that as time goes on, the devices cost less to make. Now with the 128GB model, they really should go to 32, 64, and 128GB. I guess they are so worried about keeping increasing "growth" that reason no longer is a factor. And let's see, within a 12-month span, we have had ipad 3, ipad 4, ipad mini, and now a 128GB version of iPad 4, all of these in white, black, wifi, and cellular. SJ would not have allowed this. I'm concerned that with all of this "get product out the door" that they may be losing focus on future development. I'm sure they have lots and lots of talent that aren't involved in iterating products, though, but...one wonders.....as the real attention needs to be with the minds at the top.....

I'm going to wait on the next gen iPad big and the mini before I consider another iPad. Will the mini be a second tier device (speaking of internals here)? Will it have room inside for 128GB storage? Will it get a retina display? Will the next gen iPad big be lighter with longer battery life, similar to the iPad 2? Will it have a design similar to the mini (I think it feel better in the hands without those sharp edges). I need to know the answers to these questions before I spend any more.

BTW, I don't store any movies and music on my iPads....and I still want the 128 GB option!

Some good points here. If they make the 32gb model the new 16gb model per say then that'd be great. As for too many SKUs, not sure if that matters so much. It's the same product just with different amounts of memory and some internal stuff. If they made an iPad with everything from a five inch screen up to a twelve inch screen with one inch increments between them all then I'd agree more. I get what you are saying though - if they keep having to tend to all these models, what are they busy innovating? Make sense.

The storing movies reference was just a general observation. I've just never used as much a space as most seem to so storage for me is lower on the totem pole than battery life, hardware longevity, and quality apps.

dianne137

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't diss my new to me ipad3 16gb. It cost my sweetly $450.and I got it for my birthday!

good idea about the Mac air...maybe I'll save my pennies. And gift him on his birthday to replace his Mac ios10.41

We aren't all swimming at the top of the milk pail

Most reactions

Latest posts