What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

App usage tracker?

mnelson360

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We have a 80+ iPads out in public areas for kids from 4-12 to use. We have them set up and managed through Apple Configurator, complete with about 30 apps on them.

Most of the apps loaded are purchased and we're looking to find an app that can show us what apps are used and how much. This is to inform our purchasing decisions, etc.

I've been looking all over and cannot find anything in this space. I understand iOS makes this a difficult task. Impossible though? Anyone have suggestions?

Thank you in advance!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You're probably looking for a MDM feature/solution; not an app. I'm not familiar with what's availale out there, beyond Confgurator, but there are several.

On the device itself you can check Settings > Battery and tap the clock icon (Needs iOS 9 I think). This gives you time used; both on-screen and background. I don't know of any app that can be used to gather and collate this information.

OP
mnelson360

mnelson360

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We're running with an MDM solution but it doesn't monitor root level activity like app usage. From what I'm finding in other forums, this appears to be an iOS security feature where apps cannot big brother other apps. It's too bad as this might be the nail in the coffin for a really great public program. We need to gather metrics to justify the purchasing of various apps.

You're probably looking for a MDM feature/solution; not an app. I'm not familiar with what's availale out there, beyond Confgurator, but there are several.

On the device itself you can check Settings > Battery and tap the clock icon (Needs iOS 9 I think). This gives you time used; both on-screen and background. I don't know of any app that can be used to gather and collate this information.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You'd have to gather those app usage figures the hard way by looking at the app usage data on each iPad separately.

OP
mnelson360

mnelson360

iPF Noob
Reaction score
By looking at them sepperately, do you mean under 'settings / battery / usage'?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
By looking at them sepperately, do you mean under 'settings / battery / usage'?
Yes. That would tell you what percentage of the operating time since the last battery charge each app was used for. The list is ranked from most to least used.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Depending on the apps, there may be different approaches. Apps that depend on a heavy website/service component can be monitored using other web services. Basicly you use the VPN/Proxy setting on the iPad to route everything through a server that tracks an app's web useage.

Other apps might be better tracked by results rather than time usage.

And of course, there is yee old survey and or self/tracking by users.

It would be shame to give up a succesfull project just because you couldn't find a way to slap a number on it.

OP
mnelson360

mnelson360

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Agreed it would be a shame. The target audience are kids under 12 so a survey is probably out of the question. I'll see what I /we can do. I suspect we're throwing money away on apps that we adults think are spot on for kids.

Thanks for the interactions.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I dont' see any fundamental reason why you shouldn't be able to survey kids, at least the ones 5 and up. Though you may want an adult to supervise. Pictures of the apps, so they are sure what you are talking about should help.

OP
mnelson360

mnelson360

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No, it's much too prohibitive on staff and historically, surveys don't give us accurate numbers. Not really. we're talking about 88 devices that are not checked out but floating in the kid's area of 24 public libraries. A survey won't cut it. Plus, getting folks to participate in surveys is really difficult.

Most reactions

Latest posts