What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

App switching tweak?

VeGt0m

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,

Any tweak that would let me switch to a non opened app while in and browsing an open one? Switcher of iOS only switches to apps that have been open. Is there a way for me to switch to an app which has not been opened?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The only thing I can think of is the stock way: Close to the springboard and find the icon and open it.

There's also the "Open In..." function, should you want to open something in another app (and both apps have allowed that function).

Unless I'm completing missing it - there's no tweak that'll do what you want. Sorry.

Marilyn

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh yeah! I forgot about that one (uninstalled it after I tired of it only opening on one side...).

With that reminder, there is also SBSettings - where you can put four (or more?) icons in it's dock settings. Just do NOT put in icons that use Mobile Substrate (e.g. Overboard)! Trust me, it wouldn't be pretty...

With both/either of these, you can open other apps without having to go back to the springboard. In the "for what it's worth" department" - I really did like Dock. Again, I just tired of it (and wanted to have less tweaks on my iPad). It is a very nice tweak.

Marilyn

OP
V

VeGt0m

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks guys! Will look into dock. Btw, what is mobile substrate?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
VeGt0m said:
Thanks guys! Will look into dock. Btw, what is mobile substrate?

It is a core component of a JB to enable OS tweaks. Don't worry about it.

OP
V

VeGt0m

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But I wanna know which apps use it so as to take heed to the warning..
Which apps should I avoid? I used the forums search but didn't find anything.
I wanna use that SBsettings feature, but I don't wanna mess up.

Last edited:
OP
V

VeGt0m

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Don't want to be seen as annoying or anything :(, but I just want to know what kind of apps use the mobile substrate as I have started using the dock function of SBsettings.

Can anyone help?

Thanks. Don't wanna be seen as the annoying new guy who keeps asking questions (thought that's kind of what I am :p) but I just trying to gain as much knowledge as I can to make the most of my device and make sure my jailbreak runs smoothly :). As I said I did try a forum search but didn't find what I wanted.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry that I've created some confusion for you. Let me tell you what happened to me, then you can decide what to do:

I put the tweak Overboard onto the dock of my SBSettings app. It uses/hooks into Mobile Substrate (MS for short). It seriously messed up my SBSettings dock, in that I could not remove it from the dock and I never could put anything else on the dock. The only thing that fixed it was the upgrade from iOS 4.2.1 to iOS 4.3.3 - it was that messed up. I made the decision then to never put anything into the SBSettings dock that tied into MS. So, that's me and my story. I can't say this would happen to anyone else - so my apologies for throwing that bit into my comments on SBSettings. It added confusion, for which I am sorry/regretful.

You can tell which items that hook with MS by opening SBSettings and selecting "More." Then, scroll down until you see the line "Mobile Substrate Addons." You'll be provided with a list of tweaks that are "on" with MS. Note that you really don't want to mess with them, especially if you're, like me, a non-programmer/tweaker at the OS level...

To repeat, what happened to me may not happen to you. I was just passing on an experience (and my conclusions from it).

AFAIK, it doesn't matter with App Store (read: stock) apps. You can put them on the SBSettings dock all day long and they'll work fine. It was just that one tweak, for me, from Cydia.

I hope this clears things up a bit. Again, sorry for the confusion and the FUDing about using the SBSettings dock. Let me know if that helps.

Marilyn

OP
V

VeGt0m

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey thanks a lot Mickey330 :). You cleared things up for me! I will only use stock apps on my SBsettings dock now.

richgalen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Idiot Alert! I read this thread the bought Dock, but I can't figure out how to make it work. I watched the video, but I'm still clueless. Can anyone help?

OP
V

VeGt0m

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry. I'm not of any help as I haven't purchased it. One of the other will have to offer guidance. I hope you get it sorted out though!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
richgalen:

Can you describe the problem you're having with it? As, in, can't activate it? Or, can't get it to show up? Or ... ?

IOW, need a few more details on what's not happening.

TIA.

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts