What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

app question

theofferoproject

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone, this is my first post. I love my IPad, but am frustrated that I can't work more efficiently on regular work stuff. word and excel are used for most of my reports, and while I've tried a number of apps that claim to work well, but they don't. I need to edit, not just view. I'm not sure if this is the proper forum to be asking this kind of question, but I thought I ask the IPad gurus first before spending more money to not be effective. I do use LogMeIn, but it's not quick. Any suggestions?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello & welcome to the forum! :) On the iPad, there are a number of 'Office Apps' that correspond to MS Office (I'm assuming that is your reference?) - for myself, I have the iWork Suite (i.e. Pages, Numbers, & Keynote which equate to Word, Excel, & PowerPoint) - now the files between these iPad & MS programs are interchangeable, the apps on the iPad will not offer the power nor the detailed features of the full MS programs (nor the same Apple OS X programs which I have on my MacBook Pro & iMac) - SO, I would suggest looking at this iPad Apple office suite - now, it's not free but rather inexpensive - PLUS, you need to define your needs because Apple's iOS vs. OS X are importantly different operating systems which needs to be understood - Dave

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Giradman, how do I know the difference between iOS systems?

Hello - Apple offers two different operating systems: 1) iOS (6.1.3 current version) for its i Devices, such as iPad, iPhone, & iPod; and 2) OS X (10.8.4 current version; also known as Mountain Lion) for its laptops & desktop computers. If you plan to put iWork on your iPad, then the iOS versions would be installed - if you also have an Apple laptop and/or iMac, then the OS X versions would be needed; the latter are much more powerful and full featured office apps like those offered by MS Office. Dave :)

OP
theofferoproject

theofferoproject

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is what I would like to do giradman: I would like to have my MS Office spreadsheets accessible for editing, saving, and sending back to my PC. Is this possible? and thanks so much for your advice. :)

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
This is what I would like to do giradman: I would like to have my MS Office spreadsheets accessible for editing, saving, and sending back to my PC. Is this possible? and thanks so much for your advice. :)

Hello again - your situation as discerned from your posts is that you work on a desktop Windows PC w/ MS Office programs, i.e. Word & Excel, and that you want to import those *.doc(x) & *.xls(x) files into apps on the iPad for editing and then get the files back into your PC - correct? You do not have an Apple laptop or iMac (so the discussion about OS X is not applicable) - correct?

Now I'm assuming the above is true; Apple's iWork consists of 3 apps, i.e. Pages, Numbers, & Keynote - these mimic Word, Excel, & PowerPoint, respectively, i.e. the files from these MS Office programs can be imported into the iWork apps, where they can be edited and then transferred back to the MS programs; each iWork app is $10. NOW, the iPad is not a desktop computer and these apps are quite good but DO NOT have the depth & power of their desktop equivalents (whether the MS or the OS X versions); thus, although Pages & Numbers can open Word & Excel files and these can be edited, formatting issues may arise and more complicated Excel relationships may be a problem - please read this PC Mag review HERE (be sure to hit the link about Numbers).

Now whether Pages or Numbers on the iPad will fulfill your needs will depend in part on the complexity of your Word & Excel files - I cannot provide an answer (I've imported Word, Excel, & PowerPoint files into each of these iWork apps - minor problems did occur) meaning that you will just need to try them out - sorry? Of course, there are other office apps for the iPad but all will suffer the same potential limitations related to the iPad platform, i.e. it's a nice little device w/ much potential, but it is not a full-blown laptop or desktop computer. Let me know if I can provide any further advice - good luck! Dave :)

P.S. also keep in mind that you will have to learn the most efficient ways of transferring your files 'back & forth' between your iPad & computer - another topic!

hpulmer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.saveourseafarers.com

This is how I do it:
I have a Box account and the automatic synchronization for the files (PC to Box)
On the iPad I access the files (and edit them) using CloudOn app (as long as I do have a stable Internet connection) or Office2 HD (offline). Using CloudOn changes are saved automatically, using Office2 HD I have to re-upload the files.
CloudOn produces no problems with the files (file-conversion) whereas Office2 HD has some minor issues if there are certain file-features. However I am trying to get over that by adapting my files according to the need if I need to be able to work them offline or not.

If you work completely on iOS, the iWork suite is best.

Most reactions