What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

App question

IpadOwner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry if this is in the wrong section!

Are the 'free' apps 100% free? I know it says they are, but is there anything that you pay for on the free ones?

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
there are lite versions of certain apps, they usually comes free. and you pay for upgrading it.

OP
I

IpadOwner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The majority of the free apps i have arent the lite ones but they said free, so they are free without the lite if they say free, right?

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If it says free, it really is free... honest!

However...

There are some apps that are free, like for magazines, but in order to actually read a particular edition or subscribe to the magazine, then you do have to pay. The good thing is, that you have to set up an account, separate from your iTunes account, to buy subscriptions so it is unlikely that you will accidentally purchase something you did not want.

OP
I

IpadOwner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So i will be informed if i tried accessing a part where i would need to pay, right? Like if i download a free app and i accidentally clicked something where you may be asked to pay for, it would say?
The only reason i am asking is because i am sure my account got charged yet i haven't purchased any pay ones.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you believe you were charged for something you did not buy, then you might want to contact Apple support. However, you are responsible for all charges in pretty much all cases.

Before you do that, you might want to check in iTunes and see if there is anything in one of the Purchased categories that you do not recognize --

itunes18.jpg

The other thing to consider... is there anyone else who has access to your iPad or iTunes on your computer that knows your password or are you the only one who uses it?

OP
I

IpadOwner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am very confused now. I am unable to log onto the itunes on my ipad as it keeps saying my password is incorrect, when it's not! Its definitely correct as i even re set it a few hours ago

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Perhaps (and you are not going to like this) someone has logged into your account, made some purchases then changed your password. I would contact Apple immediately.

OP
I

IpadOwner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thing is there's no email for contacting Apple and calling them takes absolutely ages.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Go to this page --

Apple - Support - iTunes

(Here is a small piece of the screen you will see)
itunes19.jpg

Click on the little arrow next to iTunes Store Account and Billing then click on Account Security. From there, you can click on the Email Us tab.

DaWeav

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If it says free, it really is free... honest!

However, what happens when I get an app in the iTunes store which is 'FREE for a limited time'? Do I continue to get updates to the app after it goes back to paid?

That being said, if I get a new app that has always been 'FREE', but later it changes to 'PAID', do I get grandfathered in or what?

This is confusing if the price fluctuates and goes up after I get it. Do my FREE or otherwise purchases get grandfathered?

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The best answer is, "It depends!" Each developer does things differently. But generally speaking, if you get a free app that later becomes a paid app, they won't make you pay for the app you have. So far all of my freebies still work. As far as updates, that is also up to each individual developer.

OP
I

IpadOwner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would think that you'd only pay if the person bought the full version of the game, otherwise i've had some apps before now which weren't just a trial, but were free.

I have another confusing issue here now.
I emailed APPLE and they reset my password
However they sent someone else's email to me which certainly wasn't mine and i am now concerned that mine has been sent by accident to someone else. I am pressuming they can log onto my account and start buying apps charging me?
I'm fed up of problem after problem, all relating with Apple. Don't get me wrong they're very friendly, but this is the second problem now.
I'm confused to why they have sent a reset password and an email to me in which i should apparently log in with now, but not my email!
I can't remove my card from my account as i cannot sign on still.
It seems odd to me that my password would not work yet it was definitely the correct password that i created.

Most reactions