1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

App for saving text file?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by terrypin, Aug 2, 2010.

1. terrypin

terrypin iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Could someone please recommend an app that's basically a simple text editor. I want to be able to write a note or list or whatever, and then save it with a filename for opening quickly again later.

--
    Terry
  2. Purpleorchid

Purpleorchid iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The built in Notes application.
  3. terrypin

terrypin iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks Purpleorchid.

Excuse the change of topic, but any chance of some photos of those DIY stands please?

--
    Terry
  4. Wonfuji

Wonfuji iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    How does one access these .txt files from Notes?
  5. graywolf

graywolf iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0
    You don't. You will need an app that can upload the files somewhere so you can access them. But the built-in notes app is quite handy.
  6. Wonfuji

Wonfuji iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Graywolf

Heres the full story.

We are running FMGo on an iPad.
    The client travels with it and links back to to his Filemaker server to review daily sales etc using FMGo. This is all handled via a specific iPad designed layout - he clicks buttons and views reports in PDF preview.
    Sometimes, at shows, (he sells high-end glasses), he likes to be able to produce on the fly reports for suppliers about sales in a particular period of time - so I provide him with Excel export from Filemaker.
    This is, of course, not a Go feature. I can export the contents of a field, and I fill the field with data gathered into a variable as we loop through records. The data is all tab separated with valid line feeds, I stuff it into the body of an eMail and he copies the body then discards the eMail.
    If he pastes into numbers we get the data in two forms: 1) all in one field or 2) in some find of floating object that I don't follow.
    I am thinking that if I could get the data into a text file and save it somewhere (Dropbox, iDisk) he can pull that into Numbers and open it.

I can also export the field contents but all I get is txt files.

The goal would be to create a file that I can code Filemaker to open in the IOS and then pass to another iApp - and one of the choices to view in would be Numbers. Problem is is that Filemaker will export the contents of the field as .txt no matter what extension I try to force. Eg. I export field as "Data.numbers" but the IOS creates "Data.txt". So what I really need to figure out is a way to get a Numbers sensitive file out.
  7. graywolf

graywolf iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0
    Oh! That's makes sense. I really don't know of a way to make numbers open a txt file. But, using office 2007, save the file in compatibility for 2003, aka, save it as a .xls
    So, then email that to the iPad and tap on it and it should offer to be opened in numbers. Give that a try?
  8. Wonfuji

Wonfuji iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Graywolf

The goal of this is no computer involvement - just the iPad. If I need to involve a laptop then I don't really need the iPad in the loop at all - would like to travel with just the iPad.

The sticky bit is that pasting tab separated data into Numbers on the laptop works fine - data spreads into rows and columns. Doing the same with Numbers in the iPad either a) drops all the data into a single cell or b) creates what appears to be a floating graphic.
  9. graywolf

graywolf iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0
    I'm not an expert on numbers, I actually don't even have it. Maybe someone else can add on and help?