What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

App for non verbal adults?

ASLinterpreter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I am a freelance ASL interpreter and work mostly in the medical field. I have been getting more and more calls to work with patients that are hearing, but now have a trach and are unable to speak. Most of them have full cognitive function but are unable to write. I am a skilled lip reader, but these situations make it very tough! I am looking for an app that would be good for an adult trying to get their thoughts across but are just unable to speak. Everything I am finding is geared toward little kids.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Jeffrey

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Jeffrey-

I, too, deal with patients and on occasion have some with hearing impairment as well. In fact I have one that I am currently seeing and need ways to find out how they rate their pain and where it is located for JCAHO standards.

Have you tried this app: phrase board? I am going to try this with my patient on thursday to see how it goes.

See the app below:

image-3720121274.jpg

Hope this gives you some direction with your patient population.

Carol

OP
A

ASLinterpreter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the suggestion! I will check it out.

I am also looking for an app that makes almost the whole iPad screen a keyboard. Some patients want to type, but don't have the ability to use the small keyboard. Any suggestions for that??

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hmmm...I have to check the AppStore for that, but while I do that-have you tried a blue tooth keyboard for them? That way they could see what they are typing. Or, even a notewriter app where you write on the screen of the iPad.

See this recent thread by NYhorsewoman: http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-gene...etaking-drawing-brainstorming.html#post519721

Addendum: This is good to know for me, for when my arthritic hand patients need a little bit bigger keyboard. Here are 2 keyboard apps that you could try.
Key words I typed in: Big keyboard

So big typing:

image-1647454929.jpg

Keyboard+:

image-2331962574.jpg

Try these out. I didn't see any for free, but these may be useful.

Carol

Last edited:

JewelGarden

iPF Novice
Reaction score
ASLinterpreter said:
Thanks so much for the suggestion! I will check it out.

I am also looking for an app that makes almost the whole iPad screen a keyboard. Some patients want to type, but don't have the ability to use the small keyboard. Any suggestions for that??

You might take a look a The Fat Finger. Haven't tried it but it has some positive comments.

JewelGarden

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Happy to help. Let us know if you find it helpful.

In a former career I worked on a stroke/head injury unit in our local hospital. Something like the iPad would have been a gift from heaven! All we had were spelling boards where you pointed to each letter as you spelled out words. So terribly slow and frustrating! Many patients didn't have the coordination or the stamina to spell out more than a word or two...but were just brimming with questions and things they needed to say. Very sad. I'd like to see much more done with the iPad for special needs communication-- on many levels.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The iPad is a wonderful device and really does have its place in the hospital and clinical settings. Our outpatient rehab group is currently looking at investing several iPads for clinical use with their patients as well as when performing screens/documentation.

It really is a wonderful device that more people need to know about...and hopefully they will learn some of that on this forum!

godhwani

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi All,

Just saw this post and wanted to chime in... my company, has created an iPad app that may solve the problem... and, there's a free version that is adequate for many users. I encourage you to check out Verbally (Verbally for iPad), and please send us a note if you have any questions or feedback.

Also, if you need a larger keyboard than Verbally offers, the only "affordable" app that I am aware of with text-to-speech and a very large keyboard is "iMean."

All the best,
Ajay

Last edited by a moderator:

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Ajay-that's great to know, especially if this app can be geared towards others outside of the Peds population.

Can you please give us a direct link to our app from the website, instead of your company?

Please also see your inbox under notifications. I will be sending you a private message shortly.

Thanks,

Skimonkey
iPad Forum Team

valerieg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi - I am the product manager of Verbally. I had a user who was in the hospital and unable to communicate due to chemo mouth sores. Also have a current user that has a temporary tracheotomy and is continuing to work as a doctor thanks to Verbally. Here are the direct links to Verbally you requested. There are both a free and premium version. Verbally for iPad on the iTunes App Store and Verbally Premium for iPad on the iTunes App Store

All the best -
Valerie

Moderator notice: Please no email addresses

Last edited by a moderator:

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This looks great, Valerie.

Thank you for posting the direct link to the AppStore. This will be very helpful for all age populations that need communicative assistance.

By the way, I have sent you a PM along with your peer that posted here as well.

Thank you,
Skimonkey

Most reactions

Latest posts