What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

App for for Word and Excel files?

W4KRR

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,

Is there an app (or two) that will allow the viewing and editing of Microsoft Word and Excel files?

Thanks!

snoApple

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad Wordprocessing for Lawyers

Is there an app (or two) that will allow the viewing and editing of Microsoft Word and Excel files?

On the word processing side, the article "Word Processors on iPad for Lawyers: MS Word Compatibility Shootout" [Word Processors on iPad for Lawyers: MS Word Compatibility Shootout | Tablet Legal] from July 2010 lists 4 apps (prices and product offerings may have changed):

• Pages – $9.99 (Apple)
  • Office 2 HD – $7.99 (Byte 2) (Tablet Legal review)
  • Documents to Go Premium – $14.99 (DataViz)
  • QuickOffice Connect Mobile Suite for iPad – $9.99 (QuickOffice, Inc.)
iPadWordProcessor.com [http://ipadwordprocessor.com/] currently provides information about:

• Apple's iWork Pages
  • Office² HD
  • Quick Office
  • Documents To Go
  • Google Docs
  • iA Writer.
Hope this helps. I am going to be reviewing these products over the next few days to make my own decision (I've ordered an iPad that will arrive this week).

recDNA

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm familiar with Docs to Go since I have an Android phone and it works very well in Droid. Don't see why it wouldn't work well in IPAD.

chowdown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
None of the apps mentioned are much good at creating Excel-compatible files.

deckyon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.sturmphoto.com
None of the apps mentioned are much good at creating Excel-compatible files.

Only if you expect them to perform advanced functions of Excel. I use Docs to Go all the time at work to work on group projects. However, no advanced recalculating or pivot tables or things like that... For just editing and viewing standard Excel files, they work fine.

Just a tip, chowdown - try quantifying broad statements like that, as it stands, it is very misleading.

recDNA

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm familiar with Docs to Go since I have an Android phone and it works very well in Droid. Don't see why it wouldn't work well in IPAD.
I use the Docs to Go have had really good luck with that.

Have you tried the version that works with SugarSync ($16.99 version)?

I can print Word, Excel etc from SugarSync but it basically shows a picture of the page - like a PDF version. It prints fine but of course you can't edit or format in any special way for printing.

The Moderator may chew me out for mentioning this in more than one post but I was able to get AirPrint to work on my PC with HP printer without buying ANY app. I used the directions at How to Install AirPrint to Enable Wireless Printing on Windows? | Jaxov

Now I can't guarantee anything about using their download. For all I know I've installed a virus or a trojan but it does enable printing from my IPAD. The downside is it uses printer sharing so the host PC must be on and awake when you use it. That's no biggie for me cuz my laptop is just about always open when I'm home.

Now if there were an app that let me print to my network wifi printer from a different network (from the Internet in other words) whether my laptop is on or off it would be worth paying for (unless I could figure out a way to do it myself!)

Most reactions

Latest posts