What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

App Advantages Are?

Enthusiast

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi All. Everyone knows Apps can be downloaded; airlines, financial instutions, hotel reservations, you name it, they all have Apps.

I am curious as to *all* the specific advantages apps have, compared to Safari. It's easy enough to use Safari to access the website you want, after all.

Tapping an App is more convenient than using Safari. Is that the *only* advantage? I thought maybe using the App helps ensure the website is authentic, not fradulent, but I'm guessing. Does anyone know? Settings-> Safari has a 'Fradulent Website Warning' setting... Isn't that good enough?

And, are there any other advantages Apps have, compared to surfing with Safari?

Here's what I consider an App *disadvantage*- For example, I have an App, when I look at the space it uses in Settings, I see 'Documents & Data' uses 78.5 MB, but when I look at that Apps' storage total, it uses 157 MB! To me, that's actually 78.5 MB of storage space used for nothing! (157- 78.5= 78.5).

I don't like to waste storage space and cannot see why I should do that by downloading Apps when I can easily enough go online.

Thank You

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The biggest advantage of using the app over the website version in Safari is that apps in the App Store are examined before being allowed in to ensure they're not scams or contain hidden malicious code etc.. There is no corresponding examination of websites. A fraudulent website setting doesn't catch everything.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Apps tend to be faster, and because they are designed to work specifically with iOS, not mobile devices in general, they also tend to be easier to use.

That's all general, of course. Sometimes the website is better. Often the app is better for quick, easy access while the website will give you more features. That would be the case with this forum and and the choice between using Tapatalk and the site in Safari.

And then there are some tasks, that while possible via a website, are simply better suited to local apps; like drawing, photo enhancement, and the more powerful productivity apps. And, of course, anything that you need to work even when you have no internet connection.

In each case, it a matter of making the trade off that matter most to you.

I

islandman

Actually, the fact that you say using apps from the app store is quite reassuring, because friends & family are constantly saying "be careful"as they know I like to look for anything going free that might be useful. In the main I tend to keep an eye open for anything photography. Of late I got a selfie with five second timer program which I'm hoping will be ideal when we are out and about as we live on the coast with harbour/marina/beach ect.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Unimportant, but if you are on iOS 8 then the native Camera app has a timer. You can choose between 3 or 10 seconds.

I

islandman

Unimportant, but if you are on iOS 8 then the native Camera app has a timer. You can choose between 3 or 10 seconds.

When I look at settings>software update, it offers me update to iOS 8.1.3 and unsure if I should proceed, what would be involved and as things are fine thus far, would I benefit

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It's a bug fix and security update. Unless you jailbreak, or plan on jailbreaking, then it's a good idea to install this update.

I

islandman

It's a bug fix and security update. Unless you jailbreak, or plan on jailbreaking, then it's a good idea to install this update.

I may then tomorrow, but I have to be sure it won't cause any issues as I need this ipad for skype to Middle East, and what is jailbreaking

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you are already on iOS 8, then the 8.1.3 update will make things more stable. If you are not already on iOS 8, then it's worth a little more caution, mostly if you are using older hardware.

As always, make sure you have a good backup before proceeding, and if you have important documents or pictures, have them saved online or on a different device or computer. This is always good practice, just doubly so whenever you update a device.

Jailbreaking is a hack that lets you bypass some of the limitations Apple puts on it's iOS devices, allowing you to purchase apps outside the App Store, apps that can do a few things you can't get from approved apps. That's the upside.

There are downsides as well. Mostly a matter of needing to carefully track and avoid updates until there is a jailbreak for that version, and taking more responsibility for the tweaks (apps) you install, since they have more potential to cause problems than apps approved in the App Store..

You can read more about it in the Hacking section of the forum, here: Jailbreaking Explained

Last edited:

wesleymintz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I feel apps are better than websites as they are verified properly before being allowed on a App store. Also, many apps provide offline versions too. So you need not go online everytime to access a small thing.

I

islandman

I feel apps are better than websites as they are verified properly before being allowed on a App store. Also, many apps provide offline versions too. So you need not go online everytime to access a small thing.

You'd be surprised how reassuring it is to learn that apps from the App Store can be relied on, and yes, as Wesleymintz says, to install the equivalent of an app, such as an add-on, on a laptop, you never know if it is safe, unless you have something else installed that gives it a green light, to signify the site is OK.

OP
E

Enthusiast

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you, everybody. It's nice to know that, as scifan57 says, Apps from the App Store have been checked to ensure they're not scams or contain malicious code.

Unfortunately, those are priorities in this day & age...

Kieran2001

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here is 2 good things about apps.
1. they are very easy to access
2. someone apps run without internet connection

(Extra : apps can download videos inside the app however apple don't allow this so please do not use them)

Most reactions