What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apostrophe isn't displaying correctly in some posts.

Fid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
While reading many posts I've noticed that the apostrophe is replaced by some characters. Here is a sentence I copied from one of the forum topics. "Now’s your chance to tell us what you’ve got." The topic was about reviewing apps that you use a lot posted by Mickey.
While I am typing this I notice that the is showing up in the words I've and isn't . I hope they are still there once I hit the Create Thread button. Is this happening to others, too?
I'll have to scope out other web sites. I do recall that some sites have a semi-colon instead of an apostrophe. I think that was on stackoverflow, but I'm not sure.
I'm on iOS 7.0.6 jailbroken. Language English US.
Fid

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If a post is copy & pasted from another app, sometimes it will retain proprietary formatting. This happens a lot with MS Word. This results in some very odd looking characters.

The most common offenders are the smart quotation marks used by Word. That includes the apostrophe, which is often the same as single-quote on the keyboard.

The way around this is to make sure you paste as plain text; an option you'll usually find in the Edit menu on OS X and Windows. Or don't use Word (or the other offending app) to type the post.

I don't know if it's possible to cause the problem, let alone avoid it, on iOS.

zain8500

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is due to problem in the site. You should contact with the admin.

Most reactions

Latest posts