What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone using any of the birding apps?

Czevski

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am tempted by the sale on iBird apps but not sure which is best. Are there others by a different author that are recommended?

avwh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
BirdsEye
IBird Lite
BirdJam
Audubon Guides
Peterson Feeder Birds

I use birdJam to recognize birds by call and help ID what I see
BirdsEye is a good way to keep a checklist
IBird also helps ID

The other two I haven't used enough to comment (but were free).

All these are more convenient in the field on an iPhone or iPod Touch.

nigelbhall

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
petersonguides.com
Hi,

I'm the developer of Peterson Birds of North America and Peterson Feeder Birds of North America. Our apps are the only birding apps available on any mobile device that actually help you identify birds by guiding you through the process. The apps use take their overall design, organization, and content from the Peterson Field Guide to Birds of North America book—considered the best bird guide available in print.

Both apps allow you to compare similar birds by sight, sound, and geography from a single screen, and we use the identification system developed by Roger Tory Peterson to draw the user's attention to field marks that differentiate each bird. So, for example, to compare songs for similar birds, you need only tap on each bird on the screen. No need to navigate through lots of different screens to find bird details.

Peterson Feeder Birds is a free app with all of the features of the main app and 160 backyard birds. Peterson Birds has 820 birds. In addition to illustrations, range maps, songs, and details from 8 different Peterson Field Guide books, the apps have a unique search and listing feature, and are customizable, so you can make the app work the way you want it to.

I highly recommend giving Peterson Feeder Birds a try. It's free, so you lose nothing but gain a fantastic field guide. The app has rave reviews on iTunes and 97 5-star ratings out of a total of 124 ratings.

If you have any questions or comments, you can post to our support forum [follow support link from website below] or find us on Twitter.

Nigel

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Czevski

Czevski

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank you. I'm having fun with the Peterson Feeder Birds app. It seems to have what I was looking for.

jalgal66

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm the developer of Peterson Birds of North America and Peterson Feeder Birds of North America. Our apps are the only birding apps available on any mobile device that actually help you identify birds by guiding you through the process. The apps use take their overall design, organization, and content from the Peterson Field Guide to Birds of North America book—considered the best bird guide available in print.

Both apps allow you to compare similar birds by sight, sound, and geography from a single screen, and we use the identification system developed by Roger Tory Peterson to draw the user's attention to field marks that differentiate each bird. So, for example, to compare songs for similar birds, you need only tap on each bird on the screen. No need to navigate through lots of different screens to find bird details.

Peterson Feeder Birds is a free app with all of the features of the main app and 160 backyard birds. Peterson Birds has 820 birds. In addition to illustrations, range maps, songs, and details from 8 different Peterson Field Guide books, the apps have a unique search and listing feature, and are customizable, so you can make the app work the way you want it to.

I highly recommend giving Peterson Feeder Birds a try. It's free, so you lose nothing but gain a fantastic field guide. The app has rave reviews on iTunes and 97 5-star ratings out of a total of 124 ratings.

If you have any questions or comments, you can post to our support forum [follow support link from website below] or find us on Twitter.

Nigel

Is there a good app for birds of Europe? All the good ones seem to be for North America. I currently live in Germany.

Last edited by a moderator:

nigelbhall

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
petersonguides.com
Is there a good app for birds of Europe? All the good ones seem to be for North America. I currently live in Germany.

Take a look at iBird UK. It focuses on UK birds but covers a lot of Northern European species. There's a free Lite version so you can see if it's going to work for you.

Nigel

Most reactions