What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone using Alesis iO Dock?

GaryRea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone is using the iO Dock with the iPad 2, as I have seen some negative reviews in which people are complaining that they can't use the two with Garage Band, in particular, due to a loud high-pitched tone while in the amplifiers section of the instruments. I'm not worried about this, as I'm not using the amps, but I am curious to know if anyone has experienced this elsewhere in Garage Band, or in other music apps on the iPad 2. I guess I'll find out for sure when the iO Dock i ordered arrives next week, eh? ;)

Reaction score
I've also been looking at that product as a solution for my basic home recording needs. I have the same noise problem in garage band with the guitar amps using my Irig. Hearing similar complaints about the Alesis I/O makes me think a different recording app might be the answer. I've also heard that devices like the Irig that connect through the headphone jack weren't as good as ones that use the 30 pin. If I can find an app that plays nice with the Alesis it might be the way to go for me.

Other complaints about the Alesis seem to be that it doesn't support usb midi only the older midi connectors makes it less than ideal for modern midi keyboards. I am not a big midi guy so it is not an issue for me, but if you think you'll need that functionality you might want to research that a bit more. The other issue I've seen discussed is the limited video outs. If you,re buying it for video editing you may be disappointed. Again not so much an issue for me but their are some scathing consumer reviews about these limitations.

The features that are there are what I'm after. Recording myself doing vocals, stringed instruments mic'ed, direct guitars and bass. Basic one man project studio. It all comes down to software compatibility at this point in my research. I'm probably going to pick one up somewhere with a 30 day return policy and mess around with it. Might be a few weeks though. I hope some others chime in here.

Good luck.

Magnetic1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't have a solution, but I can add that the garageband that runs on our Apple laptop gets into heavy feedback noise.
Only way to help reduce the noise was to back off on the gains.
This maybe a garageband issue more than other peripherals that are attached, but I have not verified this via testing.

OP
G

GaryRea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. So far, I've used the iO Dock with ThumbJam and have had no troubles. I also have iRig, but haven't used it,yet. I'll do that this weekend and let you know how it went. :)

Gary

OP
G

GaryRea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Could be the version of OS you're running on your Mac is equivalent to iOS 5.

Gary

Most reactions

Latest posts