What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone know a way to copy files from the ipad to a new itunes lib?

SkyStudio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was wondering if it's possible to transfer all your files , settings, apps and folders as they are arranged to a new to be user authorized

Sent from my iPad2 64GB wifi 3G using iPF

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Go to the Store menu in iTunes (most recent version) on the new computer and authorize it. It won't hurt to make sure you are signed in to iTunes with your account as well (top right to log in).

Connect the iPad to the new computer. When it tells you that it will have to erase all your stuff, it may offer a Transfer Purchases option. Do that.

If it does not, then cancel out of the erase options and choose Transfer Purchases manually either from the Files menu, or by right clicking on the iPad under the device list and choosing the option.

Double check to make sure all your content got transferred.

If you are no longer going to use your old computer to access your iTunes library be sure to go into the Store menu on it and de-authorize that computer. You are only allowed five authorized computers, and it's a pain to reset if you run out of slots.

OP
SkyStudio

SkyStudio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, I did transfer everything, but when I choose to sync apps iTunes moves all the apps outside the folders and creates 5 pages of them spread all over., is there any way to sync apps as they are organized

Thanks again, appreciated

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
This seem to a fact of life when moving to a new computer.

All I can say is that when you get the files moved back into the folders you want, they should stay there. You can do this more quickly (though still not really easily) by moving and creating folder in iTunes while the iPad is connected.

Where you see your screen layout drag and drop pretty much like you except. If you drag an icon to a screen in the list to the right it will move there. If you drag an icon on top of another it will make a folder, or add it to the existing one.

Sync when you are done.

In my experience, sometimes not every icon moves as expected when you sync. It might take a couple tries to get it right.

Afterthought: I wonder if the icons might have stayed in place if you'd forced a backup before syncing. But it's too late to try and find out.

Last edited:
OP
SkyStudio

SkyStudio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I guess I'll be fine then, I was not sure if it was me doing something wrong or if it was a known bug or issue

Thanks again, really appreciate it

SporkLover

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I did this recently. I created a backup of my old iTunes library, restored it on the new computer.

I deleted my synch history from the old computer, and I was good to go.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Interesting approach. Never thought of backup and restore.

I've recommended simply moving the entire library before, and it's always worked for me, but I've heard enough contradictory anecdotes that I now hesitate to suggest it. And I haven't done if for a couple of years and several iTunes updates, which makes me even more hesitant.

OP
SkyStudio

SkyStudio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried the restore idea but it again removes the apps and places them outside their folders,

I just spent 2 hours organizing all the apps and folders, I had already selected sync apps, organized them, boom, as soon as I hit sync it removed all the apps from the folders again, I tried the same thing then again it removed apps but left a few.

Someone on some other thread I saved with Readitlater said that you have to create the folders first with a few apps, sync, then drag them into the folders, if you try to sync with new folders with apps the bug will persist, apple denies it's a bug and claims no one experiences this, yet their discussion boards are flooded with questions to why we have to restore from a back up and use dropbox incase we lose settings, I'm leaning towards jail breaking to solve all these issues until apple fixes the bugs

OP
SkyStudio

SkyStudio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SporkLover said:
I did this recently. I created a backup of my old iTunes library, restored it on the new computer.

I deleted my synch history from the old computer, and I was good to go.

My situation is simpler, it's the same authorized computer, I just cleaned up the mp3 library and re imported and organized everything, yet I have to deal with the apps and folders now as well.

I have back ups but I guess I have to first deal with backing up app data, GarageBand etc, they all get erased, maybe it's easier, gonna try, thanks again guys

Last edited:
OP
SkyStudio

SkyStudio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You guys won't believe this one, I pulled the plug on the iPad while it was syncing apps again saying removing this and that, cause I was worried I had to re organize them all again, and with out having to re select sync apps again and see them moved outside folders it now shows my apps inside the folders, the sync apps box is checked and everything is fine,, very weird,

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
SkyStudio said:
You guys won't believe this one, I pulled the plug on the iPad while it was syncing apps again saying removing this and that, cause I was worried I had to re organize them all again, and with out having to re select sync apps again and see them moved outside folders it now shows my apps inside the folders, the sync apps box is checked and everything is fine,, very weird,

Maybe it heard you mumbling about jailbreaking and got scared. I've noticed a lot of gadgets start working around me when I start reaching for the tools. Could be the same sort of thing. And of course, there is the breaking word in there. The iPad has to be uncomfortable hearing that. It's made with glass, after all.

OP
SkyStudio

SkyStudio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Haha

I can't explain it but everything is fine now, it just works

How silly of me all this time for NOT jail breaking, because I can just restore the new back up , duh, if i and read more about then worried lol

Most reactions

Latest posts