What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone hoping for new ios UI

Status
Not open for further replies.

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The good news is that the competition is going to force Apple's hand. I don't think we'd have folders or the task bar on iOS today if it hadn't been for Android and others showing up on the scene. Google, HP, RIM, and Microsoft are not going to allow Apple to just run off with this market any longer.

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The concept of closed file storage for each app doesn't work for the iPad. Most of us have to use a mixture of utility apps to fill the gaps but still don't achieve 100% success.
The concept of "closed file storage" works extremely well for the iPad, it just doesn't work well for you! The iPad is a consumer-oriented consumption device made for consuming "stuff" (music, movies, apps, etc.) from iTunes. Its when you start working outside of this is when you run into these "weaknesses".

This is such a ridiculous position to take. Basically you just said that if Apple doesn't sell it in iTunes that you should not be able to play it on your iPad. Do you realize how ridiculous that is?

I want to be able to download some ebooks from the browser and launch them using ibooks. Do you know how ridiculous this process is to accomplish on an iPad? You need a laptop or desktop to even be able to accomplish this task, its insane. And for you to say, well if its not on iTunes bookstore, frankly its your problem it doesnt work, is beyond arrogant and ridiculous. Yes, it is a MASSIVE weakness that each app has its files completely compartmentalized from other apps.

The good news is that the competition is going to force Apple's hand. I don't think we'd have folders or the task bar on iOS today if it hadn't been for Android and others showing up on the scene. Google, HP, RIM, and Microsoft are not going to allow Apple to just run off with this market any longer.

They are going to have to make a hell of a transformation to iOS to stay ahead of Android in the tablet space. They will have better and more apps probably until the end of 2011 which is when Android will probably match it pretty evenly on the app front. But if iOS thinks it can just rely on having better apps and maintain an OS which is basically 11 pages of shortcuts, they are delusional. They make better hardware, which is a major selling point, and at this point the massive shortcomings of its OS have been completely subsidized by the advantage in apps that they have, and of course they have the Apple "cool" factor, but there will come a point where consumers wonder why they are not allowed to change a keyboard or have a widget and demand more.

Last edited:

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The majority of consumers don't want multiple apps that do the same thing. For those of us that get content from multiple sources, it's a minor issue to use Kindle, Stanza and iBooks for our reading material.

It would be nice to have the sandbox open to all apps that can open a file type, but we're not quite there yet. The sandbox is a solid idea... there's no reason a drawing program or a music player app needs to open an ePub document.

iwhat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The concept of closed file storage for each app doesn't work for the iPad. Most of us have to use a mixture of utility apps to fill the gaps but still don't achieve 100% success.
The concept of "closed file storage" works extremely well for the iPad, it just doesn't work well for you! The iPad is a consumer-oriented consumption device made for consuming "stuff" (music, movies, apps, etc.) from iTunes. Its when you start working outside of this is when you run into these "weaknesses".

What you are basically saying in other words is that iPad is a bag to be filled with "stuff" from the "iTunes". But I think when they made it they said it's kind of a netbook or a tablet that does much more than "consuming stuff". iPad is supposed to do some good works other than being a general fountain pen to be only filled with iTunes branded ink only and you need different types of ink from iTunes to just write the same thing. Well I believe that it's very inconvenient to have multiple apps to do some basic works. Say for example all apps should share a common storage to access the same data instead of building their own allocation of the given space to hold their own copies of data.
I am not really complaining but the problem is all the apps always hold some missing features,so when you want a good set of features you must buy multiple apps and painfully waste your expensive storage by giving each app their own copies of the same data. No offense meant but you must agree that it's really inconvenient and waste of precious storage which is unfortunately non-expandable.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If the concept of a touch screen tablet consumption device is such an epic failure, how do you explain its incredible success? It has been out less than a year and has sold somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 million units... and this is without front and rear facing cameras, a USB port and only 256 mb of memory!

Due in large part to the success of the iPad, Apple's net worth is over $222 billion, which is greater than the net worth of Microsoft and even greater than the GDP of the entire country of Ireland!

And I am no "fanboy" either. I am typing this on a home built PC running OpenSUSE. I agree that no one stays on top forever, but I personally wouldn't look for anyone to knock Apple from their perch in this arena any time soon. Say what you want about this guy, but he seems to have a particular knack for knowing what people want in terms of consumer electronics.

steve-jobs-ipad.jpg

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Don't see the problem with the ui.
With folders organisation is straight forward and apps easily found. My previous eleven pages are reduced to a simple three with the commonly used items on the launch page. I know where my apps are.

Two taps is all it takes to launch an app, how simpler can it be?
The apps are what's important not the home screen. I accept that a blocks of icons aren't aesthetic but function is more important than form as we don't stare at the home page for long.

As for file management I think apple made a wise descision to leave it out. It's the number one reason why computers get buggered up by their users. It's ok for geeks but not the remaining 85% of the population.

The whole design of the tablet is to keep things simple.
To just work like an appliance does.

Fabytm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@1991-C4:You're right.But I have one question.I knew, that the ipad has 256mb of ram built on the A4 chip and 256mb of ram, which are separate.Is that true?

stever

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good luck on the thought of moving away from iOS!
There are likely to be more features added, etc., but . . .

You HAVE seen the peeks at the new OSX changes, right?
OSX is going to start having many iOS features added, moving more in an iOS direction.

With that trend coming, I would hope you can see how impossibly unlikely it is for Apple to decide to abandon the iOS features on the mobile devices.

Right.

Last edited:

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
They don't need to abandon it, they don't even need to change it to continue being successful with it has sold millions of devices due to its simplicity. Most people are simple minded and just want something that is simple and functional. For those of us who want to be able to modify and personalize our products we have Android OS to enjoy, the rest of the simple folk can keep their boring iOS.

Despite what some people want to believe Android OS and iOS can co-exist and both be very successful. iOS for people who want simplistic function and Android for the tweakers who want more customization.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Love it when people assume android is a holy grail.
Google is out to make money.
That don't be evil is pure crap.
Just look what they hoovered up in those wifi sweeps. According to the hdds siezed by South Korea they had emails as well as wifi locations. Android is developed solely to add to googles revenue stream. If it falters it will go the way of Buzz and Wave....

And don't call those of us who don't want to be bothered by personalising as simpleminded. Lol if you want to spend hours tweaking your interface goody for you. Can't be bothered.
It's one machine amongst many and I just want it to work, not be a work of art. :)

When something better comes along I will switch but at the moment that looks like iPad2 for now. Higher resolution, more memory and probably dual core. Lots of rumours about it being shipped soon.

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You show me one reliable article that says the iPad 2 is going to be higher resolution and use a dual core processor.

Go ahead. I'll wait.

It's all speculation right now anyways, but even the speculators think that it will be a simple upgrade with more memory and a slightly re-designed chassis.

I hope they do go higher resolution and use a dual core CPU, but what's the point of a dual core CPU when Apple doesn't even let you do true multitasking anyways? It might benefit a few specific apps, but the reason dual core is such a big deal on Android is because of the use of constantly updating widgets and programs that truly run in the background.

The iPad is for simple minded people, you might not like hearing it, but it's not even an insult. That doesn't mean every iPad user is simple minded, it means that Apple designed it so even someone who has never used a computer could easily figure out how to make it function with just a few minutes of tinkering around.

No one said Android is the holy grail of anything and no one said they are producing this product as a public service to the people, of course they are in it for the money. Google at its core is an advertising company, Apple is a production company. Google can give away it's software for free because it will make more through advertising than it ever would by selling an operating system. Much like sites like Facebook, it's free, but they make a ridiculous amount of money every year through advertising.

Google's Android OS just appeals to the people who want to be able to do more with their devices.

Oh, and for the first time ever, this last quarter Android cell phones outsold the iPhones. The tablet market will be the same way soon. But Apple has never been about selling the most of anything, they price their products higher in order to make a profit.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad is for simple minded people, you might not like hearing it, but it's not even an insult. That doesn't mean every iPad user is simple minded, it means that Apple designed it so even someone who has never used a computer could easily figure out how to make it function with just a few minutes of tinkering around.
But that doesn't make them "simple minded". It is an insult! All it means is that you have a body of knowledge in a particular area that someone else does not.

My wife has a Masters Degree and is in upper level management for one of the largest library systems in the country. She has no need to know the intimate details of the inner workings of a computer. She just wants to turn something on and use it. She is far from simple minded (despite the fact she married me)!

I am sure there are people who have a body of knowledge that you don't have that wouldn't call you "simple minded"!

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But that doesn't make them "simple minded". It is an insult! All it means is that you have a body of knowledge in a particular area that someone else does not.

My wife has a Masters Degree and is in upper level management for one of the largest library systems in the country. She has no need to know the intimate details of the inner workings of a computer. She just wants to turn something on and use it. She is far from simple minded (despite the fact she married me)!

I am sure there are people who have a body of knowledge that you don't have that wouldn't call you "simple minded"!

You are taking what I said out of context. "Simple minded" in this context is simple another way to say "not computer savvy" or "not a computer geek." It has nothing to do with what degree you hold, where you went to school, your IQ score, or anything else like that. I have a Master's Degree in Counseling Psychology, but there is plenty of stuff that I am simple minded about and I wouldn't take offense to it at all. For example if someone said I was simple minded about geology, I would agree with them, because it's the truth.

The iPad was designed for people who don't know anything about computers at all. Power users complain about the closed off nature of iOS while the "technologically challenged" (is that less offensive for you? LOL) love it because it's easy to use and it just works.

That's why I said that Google and Apple can have competing OS's co-existing and both being successful. There are enough of both types of people out there to create a healthy market for both.

People are way too sensitive about simple words sometimes. A quote from one of my favorite movies "The Boondock Saints"...... "You have to tiptoe through the tulips with these a***oles!"

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad was designed for people who don't know anything about computers at all. Power users complain about the closed off nature of iOS while the "technologically challenged" (is that less offensive for you? LOL) love it because it's easy to use and it just works.
OK, I'm happy now!

Well, that plus a few more cups of coffee helps like anything!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts