What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

anyone having trouble with New Yorker app?

bookmanjoe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hope this is relevant. I have a subscription to the New Yorker, which allows me to download the app and not pay for each issue. Trouble is, after it opens it crashes when I click on any topic. I reset/restarted and even deleted the app and downloaded it again. Still have the same problem. I contacted the New Yorker, but no word back yet. Any ideas?

thanks,
Joe

Briegull

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes and this is new. I read almost all of the last issue without trouble but now it crashes almost immediately

Ayrshire

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had the Free app but now that they are charging, the free app keeps blocking me from reading an entire article. A pop-up window says subscribe to be able to read the entire paper.

OP
B

bookmanjoe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am subscribed to the print magazine, so I get digital issues for free.

jcw527

iPF Noob
Reaction score
crashing New Yorker app

I had no problem downloading a complete issue (I am a print subscriber as well) but the app crashes almost immediately (every time) after I scroll a little through some content. Anyone found a solution (or an explanation)?

alanpsanders

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I downloaded the app the day print subscribers could download digital copies. It worked well until May 17. On May 17, the app started to crash almost immediately after opening the magazine.

I am not sure whether New Yorker is wise to this...But good to know it is happening to others because it is more likely it will get fixed.

iPadDiDu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Downloading

I'm not having a problem reading the app, because I can't get it to finish downloading! My connection is not that fast, but nonetheless everytime the download pauses, and unpauses, it starts over? What gives?

I bet this is also a May 17th thing, and I hope they take care of this quick.

OP
B

bookmanjoe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
fixed

I emailed New Yorker on May 16 about this issue. Somehow it is working fine now. Here is their reply, if it can help others:
For Current Print Subscribers

Q: I have a print subscription. Does it include access to the iPad edition of The New Yorker?
A: Yes, access to the iPad edition is included as part of your current print subscription for subscribers in the U.S. and Canada at this time. You can download The New Yorker app from iTunes at: The New Yorker Magazine for iPad on the iTunes App Store

Q: I am a current print subscriber and would like to get access to The New Yorker on my iPad.
A: Download The New Yorker app from the Apple App Store.

1. Tap the red button at the top of the app under the words "Current Magazine Subscribers".

2. Follow step 1 by entering EITHER the name and address on your magazine mailing label OR the account number and zip/postal code of your print subscription. Please do not enter both.

3. Scroll back to the top of the page and complete step 2.
* If you have already registered on newyorker.com, you can use that login (email and password) by tapping "yes".
* If you do not have a login, you can create one by tapping "no" and filling in the fields for email address, password, and display name.

4. Tap the "submit" button when both steps 1 and 2 are completed.

5. A confirmation page will appear with instructions to return to the main page of the app and tap "sign in" on the upper left corner of the page.

6. Enter your login (email and password).

7. Your issues will be available for download.

Q: I entered my subscription information, but nothing is happening.
A: Be sure that you completed both steps 1 and 2 and tapped the "submit" button.

Q: I tried to create my account, but I received an error message that said "this email address is already registered" or "this login is already registered".
A: Please try signing into the app where it says "sign in" on the upper left corner of the main screen. It is possible that the submit button was tapped more than once and your account was created.

Q: I cannot log in with my existing newyorker.com login.
A: Your log-in information for newyorker.com may not be the same as that for the Web based digital edition and archive, the Cartoon Caption Contest, or our customer-care site. If your login information is not working for The New Yorker app on your iPad, please create a new username and password for the iPad edition, which can also be used on newyorker.com. The username and password does not need to be different on all of these systems, but for security reasons the information on each system is not shared. We apologize for any confusion and are working to streamline the process.

Q: I have a username and password from newyorker.com, but I don't remember my password. Can I reset my password?
A: You can reset your password on newyorker.com by tapping the link on the sign up page within the app, or by visiting https://secure.newyorker.com/user/forgot_password

Q: Is iPad edition access included for international subscribers of the print edition?
A: We're sorry, but this access is only available to subscribers in the United States and Canada at this time. We are working to add our international subscribers as quickly as possible.

Q: I am a print subscriber in Canada and I cannot verify my print subscription.
A: Be sure not to include spaces when typing in your postal code. This problem may have existed when the app launched. Please try again if you experienced a problem.

Androka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
New Yorker app crashes

Mine crashes too. Just started happening

OP
B

bookmanjoe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mine is not crashing at all any more. Did you try trashing the app and redownload load it?
Joe

Rick-WW3DE

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can no longer get the New Yorker ap to work either. It keeps crashing now, altho it worked fine at first. I have tried deleting and reloading, but it still does not work.

andesmitchell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
bookmanjoe said:
Hope this is relevant. I have a subscription to the New Yorker, which allows me to download the app and not pay for each issue. Trouble is, after it opens it crashes when I click on any topic. I reset/restarted and even deleted the app and downloaded it again. Still have the same problem. I contacted the New Yorker, but no word back yet. Any ideas?

thanks,
Joe

I have the same problem, but how do I delete the current app?

Rick-WW3DE

iPF Noob
Reaction score
bookmanjoe said:

thanks,
Joe

I have the same problem, but how do I delete the current app?

With your iPad connected to your PC, go to the Apps tab on the DEVICES/my iPad menu. Delete the ap there. If the icons are grayed out, click on SYNC APPS and tell it OK. Then download the ap again from iTunes.

I found that I had to check the New Yorker ap again in the list in order to load the new program, even though I had the AUTOMATICALLY SYNC NEW APPS box checked. In fact I just unchecked that box and left it that way, because I got unpredictable results when reorganizing my screens and deactivating certain aps I don't use that much. I have an iPad and an iPod, so it can get confusing.

Make sure just the aps you want are checked before syncing.

Anyway, this is what I did, and the New Yorker ap now seems to be working okay again.

andesmitchell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I deleted the New Yorker ap, reinstalled, and it is once again working well. This is a great ap and if there are no other problems I'll probably cancel the print version. Why can't the NY Times develop something as good?

Most reactions

Latest posts