What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

anyone having probs with copy/paste in iOS 5? I have an iPad 1

Bao

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the same problem in copy/paste after upgrading. That's why I signed on to this forum.
Ironically, it worked fine when I copied your text and pasted it in the the feedback form. Afterwards, I went back to what I was trying to copy/paste, encountered the same problem!

Bao

mjla1715

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are indeed many web pages in sites that will copy and paste fine. Unfortunately, the majority of the sites I use have problems that didn't exist before the iOS 5.0 upgrade. It is not just a Safari issue, as I have 5 other browser apps and the problem exists with them all when trying to copy from the same sites in which Safari users are having problems. It is probably some difference in the way the various sites' codes are being interpreted/decoded by the OS. There are many sites out there consisting of various levels of HTML coding... And this doesn't even scratch the surface of the permutations of pseudo-HTML code being generated by the many site-building software programs on the market.

There is obviously a distinct difference in the way that OS5 interprets the code vs the way that OS 3 and 4 did. Hopefully they'll fix the anomaly before too long.

Thank you for the input. Here's hoping that the apple engineers regularly read the forums and perhaps our comments will help the them narrow the search for the problem.

Just put in IOS 5 yesterday and copy and paste does not work...this is really frustrating. I have filed a bug report.

mjla1715

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just put in IOS 5 yesterday and copy and paste does not work...this is really frustrating. I have filed a bug report.
Has anyone found a fix for this yet? I have not received any response from my Apple bug report. And Apple Care was no help either.

OP
W

wolfman1251

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Updated to 5.1 earlier this evening. It doesn't appear that they attempted any fix for the copy/paste issue, as the same issues I've had since 5.0 are still with me. I guess I'll have to file a new bug report to jog their memories.

OP
W

wolfman1251

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Richard311 said:
Are you able to copy and paste from other apps - say to and from documents in a word processing app?

If you mean in, for example, Notes? Yes, I can copy text and open a new page and paste the copied text to the new page.

If you read the entire thread, you'll see the problem is not a cut-and-dried issue that is totally specific to any one application. Even within browser apps some text can be copied and some cannot... However, in those areas where the text is not part of an 'image' and is selectable, copy used to work fine in versions prior to the upgrade to iOS 5.0. Since upgrading, it's become a random chance event when you want to copy something to save it in another app, rather than having to hand-write it down or have to constantly toggle back and forth from app to app trying to read and type the info from one to the other.

Many apps, including the various browsers did not change their code schemes prior to the advent of 5.0. So what changed in 5.0 that no longer interprets the various other codes as the previous versions of the iOS did??

ciccioipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I went and bought iFiles 1.9.3 for $3.99 and it didn't work. I need to be able to copy the 'link to share' on Google Docs and I'm going crazy looking for a solution. I will post again if I find something and hopefully if anyone else discovers a solution they will post here too! In the meantime I have an iPhone4 that I haven't upgraded to iOS5 and it still works fine with copying the link from Google Docs.

ciccioipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
UPDATE: Opera Mini version 7.0.0.30765 (free) on an iPad2 running iOS 5.0.1 allows copying of the 'link to share' on Google Docs Mobile Version only. i'm still looking for better alternatives but anything is better than nothing.

Most reactions

Latest posts