What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone having luck selling at a higher price?

FatalDesain

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Like some of you i bought a few ipad 2's to sell hoping to make at least a hundred off each one but seems alot of others did too. Guess people are coming to their senses. But I thought the international market would be buying these up at least.

tweeter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had hoped to get one today, but none available. Either they didn't get any or they're sold out. The people selling extras around here are asking a couple hundred extra. For that I can wait.

Broseph

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's unfortunate that people who want one can't get it because someone bought an iPad 2 to sell. It's eco 101 though--there is nothing ethicaly wrong with selling something at a high price when there is a shortage. (For nonessential goods only... obviously) As long as people are willing to pay...

Xander

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Broseph said:
It's unfortunate that people who want one can't get it because someone bought an iPad 2 to sell. It's eco 101 though--there is nothing ethicaly wrong with selling something at a high price when there is a shortage. (For nonessential goods only... obviously) As long as people are willing to pay...

It's one thing to sell for a small profit but I remember ppl buying up all of the ps3s and selling for thousands but if people are willing to pay then that's their fault.

ksn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought 2 online only to realize the shipping date would be March 18-25 and I needed these before the 16th as I would be leaving town and giving them as presents, so I waited in line the next day and picked up 2 more iPads.

The 2 from the online order are still being shipped (I can't cancel because I need the smart covers which are shipping earlier), but I've considered both selling them or returning them. With a 10% tax, $12 recycling fee, ebay listing fee, paypal fee, there isn't much profit to be made.

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
FatalDesain said:
Like some of you i bought a few ipad 2's to sell hoping to make at least a hundred off each one but seems alot of others did too. Guess people are coming to their senses. But I thought the international market would be buying these up at least.

How did you buy "a few"? I thought Apple put a strict limit of one or two per customer?

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad using iPF

manitou

iPF Noob
Reaction score
While waiting in line at the local Apple Store the day of the launch, saw economics at its finest as a fella was selling two spots in line. Probably should have at least inquired about the price as I walked away without one!

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It makes me sick that people have to be greedy and buy extra ones and then sell it on for a profit :mad:

Scalping on limited-item products has been around as long as the invention of currency. Happens all the time, from toys to tickets to tablets, and it's not even always illegal.

The only way to stop this is if people will retain their senses and not pay the outrageous prices that scalpers want - and unfortunately, all it takes is just a few impatient buyers to succumb which makes it worth their while and keep the vicious cycle going.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
While waiting in line at the local Apple Store the day of the launch, saw economics at its finest as a fella was selling two spots in line. Probably should have at least inquired about the price as I walked away without one!

I've also known people (not for iPad, though) who paid someone else an hourly rate to stand in line for them. Then you can turn up 10 minutes before the sale begins and go to the front of the line.

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
tzimisce said:
I've also known people (not for iPad, though) who paid someone else an hourly rate to stand in line for them. Then you can turn up 10 minutes before the sale begins and go to the front of the line.

Heh. I'm just gonna save some money and get one of those tall golf course hole flags, put my name on it, mount it on wheels, strap a cell phone with one phone number on it to the pole, put it in line and pay someone $10 to push it forward and call me when it gets close.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
F

FatalDesain

iPF Noob
Reaction score
you have to look at this alot of ways for me it's not even worth the hassle but there are some things I just can miss out on. here is my story I know apple fans go nuts at this time so I new somebody would sell me an ipad 1 for 200 well I found three people in that range who were all waiting at apple stores all day. Then I was like if all these guys are here there not gonna be at walmart and I had to go food shopping away. I hate lines so I went out to eat first this is like at 5pm when they started got to walmart at like 6:15 still no line went food shopping first and at like 6:30 I bought five 16gb's and they had like 50 left.

Now the sad part is like 200 people were at best buy like a mile away and best buy did not have even have that many. So I really can't feel bad in my town as they were more than available probably all night. Now for all the people who wait in line all day I'll never get it, not even to me jesus would I wait in line. But for the people that do I mean hell if your gonna stand in line all day you should be buying like 5 because I don't know how else it makes sense.

I mean it's not healthcare we are talking about it's just a freakin ipad and a minor upgrade at that.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
FatalDesain said:
But for the people that do I mean hell if your gonna stand in line all day you should be buying like 5 because I don't know how else it makes sense.

What doesn't make sense is why anyone would buy 5 for the hell of it when they only need one.

iPadOhana

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It makes me sick that people have to be greedy and buy extra ones and then sell it on for a profit :mad:

Scalping on limited-item products has been around as long as the invention of currency. Happens all the time, from toys to tickets to tablets, and it's not even always illegal.

The only way to stop this is if people will retain their senses and not pay the outrageous prices that scalpers want - and unfortunately, all it takes is just a few impatient buyers to succumb which makes it worth their while and keep the vicious cycle going.

Well said and very true. Don't hate the player, hate the game!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Latest posts