What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone have any experience with Seagate GoFlex Satellite Mobile or iusbport

pommie82

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi all

I'am looking in to buying either a Seagate GoFlex Satellite Mobile or a iusb port i have read mixed reviews on the internet and i cannot decide which one to buy because they both have good points and bad points.I have heared the the Seagate Goflex Mobile is awful then i have heared its awsome and it worth every penny and the same for the iusb Port

i would be very grateful if someone had some experience and would be willing to share it with the forum

Thank you for taken the time to read my post

Happy Ipadding

paul

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have been using one for a couple of weeks now. I think it is good, but nothing to rave about.

The set up using a windows pc is easy, but it is more complicated on the Mac. And there are some gotcha's you have to watch out for. For example, if you use the same connector to charge the Satellite that you use to transfer files from the computer, it will not work while charging from an ac outlet. But it will work if you use the supplied cable to the specialized charging connector. This info is in the user's manual, but sorta' imbedded. The documentation is not very good and is incomplete.

More importantly, there are some glitches. You can select the Satellite as your wifi router, then---using the Satellite app on your iPad---establish a bridge to your home router (say). But sometimes the Satellite just drops the connection, the iPad automatically changes the connection to your home router, and then uou can't reestablish the connection to the Satellite (even though it still appears in the detected wifi list on the iPad). And sometimes, the connection between iPad and Satellite gets dropped. Finally, sometimes a streaming video just stops or plays jerkily.

I'm not real happy about the shortcomings, but with some care you can use the thing pretty well.

It would be nice to see an unbiased comparison of the outboard portable storage devices that are out there----.

Last edited:
OP
P

pommie82

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been using one for a couple of weeks now. I think it is good, but nothing to rave about.

The set up using a windows pc is easy, but it is more complicated on the Mac. And there are some gotcha's you have to watch out for. For example, if you use the same connector to charge the Satellite that you use to transfer files from the computer, it will not work while charging from an ac outlet. But it will work if you use the supplied cable to the specialized charging connector. This info is in the user's manual, but sorta' imbedded. The documentation is not very good and is incomplete.

More importantly, there are some glitches. You can select the Satellite as your wifi router, then---using the Satellite app on your iPad---establish a bridge to your home router (say). But sometimes the Satellite just drops the connection, the iPad automatically changes the connection to your home router, and then uou can't reestablish the connection to the Satellite (even though it still appears in the detected wifi list on the iPad). And sometimes, the connection between iPad and Satellite gets dropped. Finally, sometimes a streaming video just stops or plays jerkily.

I'm not real happy about the shortcomings, but with some care you can use the thing pretty well.

It would be nice to see an unbiased comparison of the outboard portable storage devices that are out there----.

*How often does it play jerkily and can it be stopped by doing a reboot or something on them lines

*How is it more complicated on a mac to use i would be interested to know the reason why please
because i use a mac all the time and i never really use windows at all really.

thank you very much for you time and information

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I found the goflex to be awful when it first came out...so bad I sent it back. But I think it has improved a lot since.

After reading the specs on the iusbport, I'd go with it. In fact, enough those I own an airstash which works fine, I'd still like to have one of those just for all of the feature it has. Lots of powerful features in that device.

OP
P

pommie82

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I found the goflex to be awful when it first came out...so bad I sent it back. But I think it has improved a lot since.

After reading the specs on the iusbport, I'd go with it. In fact, enough those I own an airstash which works fine, I'd still like to have one of those just for all of the feature it has. Lots of powerful features in that device.

How many hours do you get out of your airstash because i would be looking to stream movies

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
How many hours do you get out of your airstash because i would be looking to stream movies

Frankly, I have yet to stream movies long enough to run it down! And if I wanted to, I could just plug it into a charger (or portable battery like the one I have with 12000 mAH) with a USB port and stream all week! That is one thing I like about the air stash - you can power it nearly anywhere (but not in a pc) while streaming from it. And it uses a charger you would have for your other gear,min addition to being super portable. It lacks some features that the iusbport has, so I might add that to max out my capabilities.

I've streamed at least three movies off it before thinking about charging it, but all with gaps in between, some like days even.

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score

As above - I've streamed about 6 hours in a row without running it down, but I don't think I've ever run it all the way down; it's always lasted longer than my iPad. I can hardly wait for 256GB SD cards to come down in price - having that much stor age in so small a package will be awesome. :)

OP
P

pommie82

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have bought the cloud FTP in the end had a little mess around with it and seems to be working fine so far i will put it through it a test when i have to go out something because i like to watch movies and stuff to pass the time of day if i have to wait for something.

I would just like to say thank you all very much for your support and your feed back for me to make my decision

thank you again

paul

Last edited:

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
pommie82 said:
I have bought the cloud FTP in the end had a little mess around with it and seems to be working fine so far i will put it through it a test when i have to go out something because i like to watch movies and stuff to pass the time of day if i have to wait for something.

I would just like to say thank you all very much for your support and your feed back for me to make my decision

thank you again

paul

That is good to hear, let us know how you get on with it.

The Archangel

OP
P

pommie82

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Since i have had the Cloud FTP i have found out a few things with trail and error i just thought that i would share it with the forum so people that use Cloud FTP a problem happens then they know what to do of coarse that what forums are for and i hope my stuff is useful to the forums.

First off there is app out for Cloud FTP which is very good if you didnt already know in the app store called iusb port for the iPad and there isn't out for the iPhone just yet they are working on one it has to be passed by apple so i have been told but some one but hopefully it should be out in a few weeks fingers crossed.

Other thing when you are us Cloud FTP iusb port app if you don't shut it down properly it will not work when you come up to use it again when you are streaming media it will cut at some point and you will have to shut down the app and then restart the app then it will come back and work fine again

Here is the best way to do it
*Lauch the app Switch iCloud FTP device and a pen.
Watch or listen of your choice when finished
Click setting in the bottom right hand corner of the dashboard and click settings
A Screen will appear and you want to press Stop Server Saftely and then you wont get any problems when you come to use it next time if you
If you switch it off at cloudFTP then what will happen when you stream movies you will be unable to watch it some of the way through at some point you have to do it the right way is via settings.

Other thing that i have found it is that i bought a 2TB western digital drive (USB3) and i loaded loads of Tv Series on too the drive and i have notice that the drive takes to much power off the cloud ftp and about half way through and i was uable to watch a 50 mins of a tv series which isn't very long at all really about a 800mb file.

I have just bought a big usb pen (128GB) i will keep you all posted how i get on with the pen but at the moment i thought that the western digital drive was a waste of time because it took up too much power and the cloudFTP and got very warm too which i was a bit concern about and i couldn't watch much really.

I did pre test a usb pen 2GB pen and i had no problems at all with that and it worked fine so it i thought that i would buy a big pen.
The stream on a pen was ten times better that i found a external hard drive it just barely buffered when i was using it

I hope so of my information has been some help to some people on the forum

paul

Most reactions

Latest posts